Saxophone Forum

by marcys
(3 posts)
9 years ago

Conn series m naked lady sax

My husband bought a conn sax at an estate sale.  The serial number is 811898.  That is the only thing we could find on the sax.  When I looked up the serial number on a sax museum website it said the sax was a series m naked lady.  The engraving is not a naked lady but a shooting star.  Will this be an ok sax for our 9 year old to learn on?  We plan to have it looked at, cleaned, and repaired if necessary.  Can you also tell me more about this sax and how much it would be worth?  Thanks for any help on this subject.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Conn series m naked lady sax

This is a great student saxophone to learn on. It is not a naked lady model but is what has become know as the shooting star model. It was originally advertised by Conn as the "Director" model and introduced in the mid 1950's and ran through the 1970's. The alto was initially introduced as the 14M and was later changed to the 50M when the shooting star engraving was adopted. The tenor was the 16M.
        Ultimately, you will want to have it looked over by a local qulified repair shop to assess its state of condition. But if its in decent condition without lots of past damages or damage repairs, it should make a great sax to learn on. Although it may very well need a repad if its been sitting for a while.
         Here at Saxquest, after doing a full restoration, we sell these student saxes for between $750-$1000, depending on condition. A student overhaul will usually cost between $450-$600, depending on where you're having it done. 

Cheers,
         Mark Overton
         www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by marcys
      (3 posts)

9 years ago

Thank you for the information.  Looking at the sax there doesn't appear to be any damage but I'm not an expert.  There is a place in New Holland, Pa that has helped me in the past so I'll have the owner be the judge.  At least I know more about the sax when I take it to him.  You have been very helpful.

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
      (842 posts)

9 years ago

Here's a link to info on the 50M.  Conn put the shooting stars engraving on both the 14M and the 50M, which confuses people.

http://doctorsax.biz/vito_conn.htm 

Reply To Post

1. by marcys
        (3 posts)

9 years ago

Thank you again!

Reply To Post