Saxophone Forum

by nad1rn
(37 posts)
19 years ago

a good jazz mouthpiece

i play lead alto in my schools jazz band and i'm looking for a good jazz mouthpiece. I'm playing on a Yamaha 82 custom Z that was modified by yours truly Tenor madness.I am currently usuing a selmer s80 C* and 3m Rico jazz select reeds.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Kitch22
    (98 posts)

19 years ago

Re: a good jazz mouthpiece

Try a bunch out from wwbw.com and send the ones back you don't want after demoing them. Definitely hang on to that C* though, as it is a good piece for legit. One I would definitely recommend trying out is a Meyer, probably a 6M. That's what I use on my Custom Z alto, along with a Olegature and La Voz med reeds. Other ones to try are: Berg Larsen, Otto Link, Claude Lakey, and E. Rousseau, but for sure demo a Meyer. By the way, stick with rubber to start out with, too. Happy mpc hunting!

Reply To Post

2. by Goldref18
    (145 posts)

19 years ago

Hey congrads on lead alto spot. I play lead tenor (:-D) but i would strongly reccomend looking into a vintage meyer for alto. I use an Otto-Link for my tenor but i have concluded from my own experiences that Meyers on alto are superior, while i in general prefer Otto-Links on Tenor (This is just my preference it might not be true at all) Also i would add that i use a Francois Louis "Ultimate Ligature" on both mouthpieces as i find they make a tremendous difference. I am not personally familiar with Yamaha's but I would still reccommend Vintage Meyers with either Vandoren Blue Box reeds or Vandoren ZZ's and a good Lig because stock ligs can really kill sound Hope it Helped and Good Luck

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by nad1rn
    (37 posts)

19 years ago

i'm also usuing aovner liguature

Reply To Post AIM

4. by nad1rn
    (37 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post AIM

1. by saxaholic001
      (4 posts)

19 years ago

I have a meyer and a yanagisawa, and i think that they are both very good mouthpieces. If you really want an edge i suggest a yanagisawa metal mouthpiece. have one on my tenor and it is very nice. Oh and nice job on lead.

Reply To Post

1. by Dirty_Reggae
        (55 posts)

19 years ago

Definitly check out meyer. Ive only played on them a couple times but great jazz peice. However i use an Ottolink Metal Supertone on my Naked Lady alto an it works WONDERS! I dunnot if you like metal peices (some people dont) Everyone has there own thing.

Reply To Post