Saxophone Forum

by vintage-markVI
(12 posts)
19 years ago

question for my peers...

hey. my name's nick and i'm a jr in high school. i just got a weekly gig at a church near me, and i'm putting ALL of that money in the bank for a new horn. in about 10 months is when i'll be looking to buy....by then i'll have a little over $3500. question is which one? right now i have an interm. yamaha, meyer 7m, francouis louis lig, and vandorens of course. what are you all currently playing on? what have you played that you do or don't like? then anyone playing vintage anything out there? as that is another decision i need to make. new vs. old. let me know. thanks -nick

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxgrobie
    (86 posts)

19 years ago

Re: question for my peers...

Well looks like you've got a pretty wide price range! Really it depends what you want in the horn. Do you need something durable for say marching band? Or are you looking for something that just plain sounds hot? By the way, I'm a sophomore and I'm playing on my little jupiter alto. I don't have really anything I can brag about. LOL Good luck, Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by SaxMan
    (559 posts)

19 years ago

the new referece is nice, good for jazz, REALLY warm, and fairly big - not like a mark VI of the 50's, but still fairly big - those run about 37 or so. the series III is as good as it gets for legit playing - those run around...want to say 3100 or so. As for vintage, theyre a lot fo fun to play, but not necessarily useable - some of the more savage examples. A true-tone would do good for legit - a late one, mark even might have one. A New wonder II - never will be listed under its proper name, but the chu-berry would do good for jazz, just pretty old and the action is pretty slow. there are alos some real high callibre stuff, like the zephyr and super 20, for jazz - the zephyr and super 20 would be what the series III is to legit - at least the old jazz that actually displays musicianship thats dying out these days. if you are the bright and obnoxious type, go get a cannonball.

Reply To Post

1. by barimachine
      (323 posts)

19 years ago

i dont recomend the series III i would say besides the reference a custom yamaha is your next best bet i think the III's were a mistake, the fall apart over time and its just not as good as a II in my opinion

Reply To Post

1. by vintage-markVI
        (12 posts)

19 years ago

i don't want anything to march with or anything like that. i want pretty much the the top of the line that i can baby and care for and keep for a while. i've heard all the rave about mark VI's (hence my user name) but i have yet to play one at all. then of course i've heard of the selmer reference horns...that they are amazing. but again, haven't played it. i haven't really played anything besides what i have. i just want your opinions on what you play and do/don't like. thanks again. keep 'em coming. -nick

Reply To Post