Saxophone Forum

by docpetes
(1 post)
19 years ago

2 old saxophones

I have 2 old saxes that belonged to my grandfather. One is an alto sax, "The New Buescher Aristocrat", True Tone, Low Pitch, #264428, it's brass. The other is a silver CG Conn soprano sax, beutiful, it has some numbers on it, Pat. Dec. 8, 1914, also III 9954 S M205296 L , both with original cases. Any idea on the value? Also, I was going to restore the alto to original condition and present to my son, who plays in high school. Any thoughts?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SaxMan
    (559 posts)

19 years ago

Re: 2 old saxophones

THe alto isnt worth too much - 1200 if it is REALLY REALLY, clean better than mint condition - almost new really, not worth a lot, but it is a excellent horn. Your son will have a VERY good horn to play at school if you give it to him. I am actually planning on getting a buescher as a backup to my III, mine is from around 1929 though and is goldplated. The soprano however is a different story - it is worth more than the alto - its probably worth 1500 if it is next to new - I dont really see it going any lower than 800 bucks as long as it is playable and the tone holes havent been ground by some idiot technician. I would love ot have a gift like that - depending on condition and engraving and case and such, I might actually be a little overwhelmed (Though not likely ;)) if it were presented to me as a christmas gift - though I am a sax fanatic.

Reply To Post

2. by CajunSax
    (76 posts)

19 years ago

just don't re-lacquer...as much as a kid wants to see i bright shiny horn...it will do more harm than good. Some kids get discouraged with vintage horns cuz all their schoolmates are playing new or rented horns from the local music shop. Have a qualified tech check all the corkss, pads & felts and make sure it can play and sound good. His band director may offer a referral in your area. Those horns both have some value, but it won't compare to how your son will light up when he sees his gift.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by spida
      (12 posts)

19 years ago

Good on ya!

Reply To Post