Saxophone Forum

by atw
(2 posts)
19 years ago

F. E. Olds - Does anyone know if they make a good alto sax?

The local music store is trying to sell us an F. E. Olds Alto Saxaphone(New - limited 10 year warrenty). I was just wondering if it's a good instrument?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by budro1p
    (1 post)

12 years ago

Re: F. E. Olds - Does anyone know if they make a good alto sax?

I recently purchased an F.E, Olds Tenor sax on E-Bay. This is absolutely one of the best saxes I have played. ( 60+ years). I dont know when this one was made or who made it. It is not an older vintage however as it is like brand new. Great tone, perfect intonation and the bottom tones play better than any I have previously experienced. A very high quality instrument.

Reply To Post

2. by KCSaxGal
    (46 posts)

19 years ago

Never heard of them. I went out to a few web sites and looked at prices. I would take what you would spend on a new one of those and get a used model of a well known brand. If you get something that is not well made and it gets damaged then it can be very difficult to repair. Especially if it's an instrument for a student. I remember in middle school I got my buescher shut in a heavy school door (don't ask! so long ago I can't remember how the heck I did that) ... it was dented to but it was repairable, good as new.

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
      (297 posts)

19 years ago

yea, I've heard of them, but I wouldn't call them high quality instruments. They're more for beginners, or non serious players. I wouldn't buy them, even if it was for a student or non serious player. Buy a YAS475 used or new, and you'll be much much happier.

Reply To Post

3. by k-factor
    (5 posts)

19 years ago

F.E. Olds is most famous for Brass instruments (trombones & trumpets) for nearly 100 years. Olds Sax's are actually made in the USA by real Americans (not simply designed in the US and built in China like Schill, Simba, Monique, etc). It is not flimsy Chinese crap (even Conn-Selmer is building the Bundy Sax line in China now... since the Mexi-Conns wanted higher wages). No fooling... My Olds Sax is really decent, adjustable, sturdy and responsive (my regular Sax repair guy was impressed). I have an Olds NA63J pro model and it is definitely on par with a Selmer AS110 or Yamaha YAS62II and I paid $1,100 for it (I sold my older YAS-61 and bought the Olds after playing it). You can go to their web site: www.feolds.com/desktop.htm

Reply To Post

1. by k-factor
      (5 posts)

19 years ago

MY MISTAKE SORRY! I contacted F.E.Olds corporate rep and my NA63J Model Sax is in fact MADE IN TAIWAN. Their OLDS USA logo is misleading. However, I still love the Sax and my repair tech said it looked like it was on par with the better made Taiwan offerings from Conn-Selmer, etc. Anyone else play one?

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Olds used to make quality brass instruments years ago, but they were bought out by the Selmer snobs a while ago and now Selmer uses the name to market their Taiwan-made garbage. Such a shame! " I contacted F.E.Olds corporate rep and my NA63J Model Sax is in fact MADE IN TAIWAN. Their OLDS USA logo is misleading." yes it is, and that's the whole idea! Same with the Conn 37M and others. People assume they're US made, but they're not and more and more of the Selmer line is being produced in Taiwan as well; yet Selmer still charges a PREMIUM price! SELMER SUCKS!!!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

It's not so much that selmer suck, it's the modern corporate mentality. in the old days people focused on creating quality and trusted that profits would follow from that. these days, the only factor company ceo's consider is next year's bottom line. so although 'selmer sucks' is a truism, I still say an early Mark VI alto is the most beautiful object in creation.

Reply To Post

2. by just bobby
        (3 posts)

18 years ago

I own a F.E Olds Persian Ambassador Eb Alto Saxophone, it was made in France exclusively for F.E.Olds and Son. This saxophone has a great sound and it plays well it is a 1959 Vintage with nice bell engraving and seems to be well built and in good intonation this sax does have good action, it doesn't have the high f # key which might indicate it' being a intermediate instrument. They do sell the new student version at musicansfriend for about $695.00 I do not know about the new one but this vintage one is a keeper as far as I am concerned. I also own a Yamaha YAS-62II Professional Eb Alto Saxophone I really like them both I use a Selmer S80 C* mouth piece. If your not rich and like the Olds it probably would be ok and I would think if they trust it enough to put a ten year warranty on it they must expect it to hold up for a while and under the right condition and proper care most will with the exception of a china made sax, stay clear of them.

Reply To Post

1. by NewSax
          (8 posts)

18 years ago

I'd sure like to hear from someone with current experiences and exposure to the "new" OLDS product line. How are they for sound and quality? I'm seeing a lot more of them in student/step-up offerings and all their saxes look interesting but very little data from people actually using them or repairing them. Who makes them? What is their "linniage?" How do they compare to LA Sax, Cannonball, Antigua, etc.,? Are they a serious "second line" choice if someone can't afford Yani, Selmer, Yamaha, Kleiwerth, etc.? Thanks for the input if you have current experience with them?

Reply To Post

1. by Kiseli
            (1 post)

16 years ago

I want to ask a question regarding your thoughts I am also a sax player. I have a fourty years B&S tenor sax. I decided to buy a new one. And one of my friends went to Frankfurt for the music fairy. And he send me an email that he found an US made conn37M. But you say that they are not US made. so Are you sure about this. I told about this to my friend but, the Conn representatives also said that they are US made. Which one is true. And what is your opinion about the conn 37M quality ?

Reply To Post