Saxophone Forum

by midhaman
(2 posts)
9 years ago

New mouthpiece/ligature ideas???

Hi everyone!

I have been playing the saxophone for 3.5 years now, and I am taking my ABRSM Grade 6 exam in March. Last Christmas, I got a Yamaha YAS-280 Alto Student Saxophone. I also have a Jupiter 500 Series Tenor Saxophone. Although I have only ever done classical exams, I love playing jazz music and I am in a small jazz band too.

Anyway, enough about me, but I was interested in upgrading my current Yamaha 4C Plastic Alto Mouthpiece and ligature to something more advanced. Does anyone have any recommendations for my skill level? A friend of mine uses a Meyer 5 Series (I think that's what it is called) - is that a good mouthpiece? Are there any other good and affordable mouthpieces or ligatures? What about increasing the gap to 5 or 6 or changing to ebonite? Thanks :)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by JonHuff
    (117 posts)

9 years ago

Re: New mouthpiece/ligature ideas???

Meyer is a good mouthpiece. Other good options include the D'Addario Select Jazz and the Vandoren V16. They are all hard rubber / ebonite mouthpieces, considered "pro" level, and will give you room to gro as you progress.

Moving up in facing, from 5 to 6, is good to do for a lot of reasons, but it may initially feel a little harder to play on, since it will take more air. For that reason, sometimes you can move to a softer reed until it starts to feel more comfortable. Good luck with it! 

Reply To Post

1. by midhaman
      (2 posts)

9 years ago

Re: New mouthpiece/ligature ideas???

OK that's great thanks bro I'll look into your suggestions :)

Reply To Post