Saxophone Forum

by michmura
(3 posts)
19 years ago

Morgan mouthpieces

I have read a bit about Morgan mouthpieces for alto. I currently use a Selmer Larry Teal which I like; however, I am interested in learning more about the Morgans and other similar mouthpieces as I am considering getting one. I'd like to try one out first obviously, but there is no chance of that where I live. So I would appreciate feedback/opinions on this matter. Thank you. michmura

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by baronvonmeskel
    (17 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Morgan mouthpieces

I've never played one, but I hear Morgan makes a pretty good alto mouthpiece, although I've heard his bari and tenor mouthpieces aren't as good. I would suggest trying one out. I know you can order one on www.wwbw.com and send them back within 45 days if you don't like them. I would suggest ordering a few differant facings and seeing which ones you like/don't like and sending what you don't want back, even if you send all of them back. Or if you don't have room on your credit card to do that, just order one at a time and try them out. Make sure to write down what you thought about each piece as you won't be able to compare them back to back.

Reply To Post

1. by cjgaddy
      (2 posts)

19 years ago

If you want a Morgan Mpc, or want to learn about them, "The Man" is Dave Hoskins at JunkDude.com. I believe he's Ralph's primary distributor for the US. I know that when you place an order with JunkDude, it goes direcly into Ralph's queue - 4-5 weeks right now. Morgans are hard to come by these days. I don't know about wwbw.com's ability to keep Morgans in stock - maybe a few, but I doubt it. JunkDude also has great prices on Lig's.

Reply To Post

2. by allstar997
    (3 posts)

19 years ago

Overall I would say that Morgan's mouthpieces are of very good quality. There are some floating around that aren't as good because they've been used and abused in the wwbw shipping and swapping chains. But, I own two morgan's myself. I have a 6EL Excalibur for alto and an 8EL Excalibur for tenor. I don't know whether you're looking for a more classical or more jazz mouthpiece but morgan offers pieces for both styles. For alto, I would have to say either the Excalibur or the Jazz. The Excalibur is a thinner bodied and brighter kind of piece (so thin that it actually requires a clarinet rovner) and the Jazz is probably closer to a meyer and I imagine darker than the excalibur from what i understand. From what i've heard and from my own experience you should be extremely happy with either an excalibur or a jazz on alto. All you have to do is decide what facing and chamber size (E=small; EL=large) are right for you.

Reply To Post

1. by FredCDobbs
      (77 posts)

19 years ago

Also check out the Jody Jazz HR* for alto. It's supposed to replicate the vintage Meyer. My HR* 6 is easy to control and seems to give me a greater range of tonal color than my Selmer S80*. Good for jazz, and can be brightened up a bit with a Vandoren Optimum lig, or darkened with a Rovner. You can get one for tryout from Jody's online site; Jody is very helpful and will respond to any questions you email him. (WWBW sells them for a little less, but there's a long, long wait, and they're non-returnable.)

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

The hard rubber Otto Link piece that sells for around $90 is a GREAT piece for alto. One of my favorite alto mouthpieces is a vintage Conn Steelay piece tbat happened to come with a Conn 6M alto I bought off ebay a while ago. I'm guessing it's from the early 50's. If you can find one, BUY IT!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by FredCDobbs
          (77 posts)

19 years ago

Jim: What's the most that should be paid for the Conn Steelay?

Reply To Post

2. by krzykrn88
        (27 posts)

18 years ago

Morgan mouthpieces are the best ever! I tried both standard adn excaliver, and loved both. they all have the in tune, full note, widest ranges(b flat to wuteverthe range), and flexibility, and consistency. however, I do find that it is literalyl a pain to find the good set up, in terms of reed nad ligature.however, morgan mouthpiece itself worked realyl well on any modern and vintage instrumetns i tired(tried both std nd excalibur on mark 6, conn chu berry, yamaha 62 nd custom, etc)

Reply To Post