Saxophone Forum

by jazz47
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Martin "Indiana" Alto Sax - Info Needed!

I recently bought a Martin alto sax on ebay, pretty inexpensively. Inscribed on the bell is the wording, "The Indiana by Martin, Elkhart, Ind." The serial number is 34101, which according to my research, indicates it was made about 1922. It also has beveled tone holes. It needs repadding and some key rod repairs. The horn is unplayable now. Before I put money into an overhaul, is anyone familiar with the Martin "Indiana?" Does it play well (for an early '20s horn) or are there intrinsic problems? Any information and/or advice would be appreciated.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by zoot51
    (10 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Martin "Indiana" Alto Sax - Info Needed!

The Indiana models ran a separate serial number series, so your sax is probably from the 1940's. Indianas of that era shared the body tube design with the pro-line Martins, but had cheaper keywork. The result is a horn with excellent bang-for-the-buck. I play a later Martin Committee tenor that has great sound and incredible intonation. Two other guys in the big band I play in also blow Martins, one of them an Indiana.

Reply To Post

2. by lejllolajl
    (1 post)

7 years ago

Spend money and give it some beaty treatment. The sound is great!.

Reply To Post

3. by Goldref18
    (145 posts)

19 years ago

Well if it was inexpensive then put money into it to make it work. the old martin's are great horns but only if you find a good one because they were so widely sought that if you find one now it's a crap shoot as to whether or not it will be a great horn. I would take a chance on it. You never know

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by jazz47
      (2 posts)

19 years ago

Hey, thanks for your input. I hate to see any sax left in its case and neglected, so my gut instinct is to get this horn playable again and see what it's got left!

Reply To Post

1. by Goldref18
        (145 posts)

19 years ago

Righteous. Just if you could lemme know how it goes im really interested in seing how this all turns out! Good Luck! I

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by oorwullie
          (21 posts)

19 years ago

i have an alto which says on it simply "indiana band instrument" and an indian chief engraving, no referance to martin at all, but my late father told me it was from the martin factory. it's silver with white gold inside bell.

Reply To Post

2. by Goldref18
          (145 posts)

19 years ago

Wow that sounds really cool. You should bring it to a sax dealer or a store and get it checked out an appraised. Keep us informed.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by oorwullie
          (21 posts)

19 years ago

nope, don't think i'll be doing that! here in swissland they'd just say "oh these old things are useless, we'll give you $100 trade in if you buy a new selmer"........ ps, still looking for any info on "desidera &figli" from verona ,italy.

Reply To Post

4. by Goldref18
          (145 posts)

19 years ago

OMG that sucks. I hate these people who push the new selmers. I hate how selmer works with their advertising. I have a place like that where they only were pushing the Serie III and Reference models. Be careful and good luck.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by Selmer Fan88
        (15 posts)

19 years ago

I really think you've got an old martin... the old one's are often in contact with Indiana and there is an indian head(or three arrows) on some of them.

Reply To Post

1. by oorwullie
          (21 posts)

19 years ago

cheers selmerfan! i reckon so too. don't suppose you'd know anything about art deco italian altos?

Reply To Post

2. by lacrosse
          (1 post)

19 years ago

I have a martin that I played many years ago and my son plays now. It has both the indian head and three arrows. Anyone know an approximate date of manufacturing? Great intonation. Should I put a lot of work into it?

Reply To Post