Saxophone Forum

by sgt17594
(31 posts)
19 years ago

Selmer Mark VI baritone Sax.

I'm a bari player over 4 yrs. Day by day playing with the Taiwan poor quality bari.... some of them out-tune, ... I hate to play them anymore. Now I really want to buy a bari sax., speacilly the Selmer mark VI (with low A), Why the early mark VI is over $7000 and some is below $5000? Is it worth to buy the early one? If I buy a modern sax, any good suggestion! A Baritone player playing with the God daxx stuff

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GenericGuy
    (5 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Selmer Mark VI baritone Sax.

Wow, this thread got off topic quickly. sgt17594, the early Mark VI (56,xxx-120,xxx) are presumed to be the best playing. The selmer company made minor changes thoughout the entire production run of the Mark VI, and there are clearly examples of good and bad saxes that exist from each era. The late Mark VI bari (250,000-320,000) were produced during the same period as the Mark VII alto/tenor. The Mark VII is considered (generally speaking of course) to be the dud of the Selmer line. Also, there were fewer low-A mark VI saxophones being produced in the early run. Thus, they are less common. Being rare translates in to more valuable to a collector. Old also adds to the rare component since it's getting harder and harder to find good condition early vintage saxophones. Based on general market trends for a low-A Mark Vi Baritone: (56,000-99,000) $5600-7000++ (100,000-120,000) $5000-6000 (120,000-190,000) $4000-5000 (190,000-220,000) $4200-5500 (220,000-320,000) $3200-4000 I play on a 194,xxx low Bb Mark VI with no lacquer remaining. The saxophone is a beast, without a doubt the best playing baritone I've ever played. It comes down to personal taste. If you are looking at modern baritones I strongly suggest the YBS-62, Selmer Ser. II (the Ser. III will be released this winter/spring), or if you are on a budget the Yanagisawa B-901. Best of luck with your baritone hunt.

Reply To Post

1. by sgt17594
      (31 posts)

19 years ago

Good news!! Ser. III will be released this winter/spring! However, I can't find this news on Selmer's web site? Where can find this information? How much is it? Besides, I want to purchase the latest Mark VI (due to budget). As I'm in Hong Kong now, what web site can found this item??? Very though of ~~~~ Bartione Saxophone!

Reply To Post

1. by GenericGuy
        (5 posts)

19 years ago

The news of the Ser. III bari is not on their webstie. It is mentioned in one post by Miles Osland in their forum, and I have also had this information confirmed by the local Selmer rep. As a total guess on the price (just a guess) I would expect the major retailers (i.e. WW&BW) to release it in the $6,000-6500US range. Also, with the weak US dollar I'm expecting to see an increase across the board from many manufacturers. I'm sorry, but I can not tell you where to find a low-A Mark VI for sale right now in the lower price range. Although I stated they tend to sell for that lower price with a late serial number they often sell immediately since they are in extremely high demand. The best place to watch it eBay and hope to get lucky. Took me 3 years to find a deal on a Mark VI baritone that I was happy with and played great.

Reply To Post

1. by Goldref18
          (145 posts)

19 years ago

I think the reason that your search was so long is because a lot of the Mark VI bari's are really nothing special, and you can probably find better bari saxes out there than the low A VIs.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by sgt17594
          (31 posts)

19 years ago

Woh! you search the Bb baritone for 3 yrs.! So long! I could tell I will take longer than you? As a bari. player in Hong Kong, you can not find YBS-62, Series II & B901 in stock! All the dealer will purchase the bari. once they received the order! I can't compare this 3 bari. It is impossible to see the Selmer Mark VI in market! If the bari. is not in good condition, they just "try" their best to fix it, you can not get a replacement! I just search the ebay, and there had 2 nos. of low A mark VI is in bidding, one is $5900 "buy it now", another one is up to approx. $6200! Does it worth or not? SGT17594 - from the place no "good bari. sax." in stock! >.

Reply To Post

3. by sgt17594
          (31 posts)

19 years ago

I just received the offer from a ebayer, Mark VI bari w/ low A, 5 digital serial no., original lacquer 90%, original neck, including original case! Besides, the ebayer got 6xx positive feedback.... the price is $5xxx (in low range) including shipping! Does it worth?

Reply To Post

4. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

19 years ago

thats a bit low - I would go for it, but make sure you get a trial policy.

Reply To Post

5. by GenericGuy
          (5 posts)

19 years ago

The offer sounds reasonable if it is true. Be careful, there is a lot of fraud out there via eBay. Do everything you can to verify the seller is who they say they are, and that the instrument is as represented. It will cost more, but depending where the instrument is coming from you may consider offering to pay escrow fees to protect yourself.

Reply To Post

6. by sgt17594
          (31 posts)

19 years ago

Any good suggestions to verify the bari.? I just strongly requested the ebayer provide another set of photos showing the serial no., selmer logo, and bari with the up-to-date newspaper....! Besides, I just check his ebay's record, he run the business over 4 years and with over 600 positive feedback, no negative feedback..... What is escrow fee? it means the "insurance"? Hopefully I can get any further information about this.... So confuse about ebay bidding!!!

Reply To Post

7. by Goldref18
          (145 posts)

19 years ago

Well there's really not too much you can do to verify a dealer, just ask him for past customers to email and check with them and check his feedback and make sure that above all else he has a return policy because you never want to commit yourself to buying a horn without trying it.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

8. by GenericGuy
          (5 posts)

19 years ago

Escrow is a service where I third party holds the funds until you recieve the package. That way you can verify you receive the instrument before you release the money. Read www.escrow.com It's not hard for me to contact you and say I'm somebody else, then point you towards an eBay ID of a great seller and tell you I'm that person. Whenever I bid on an expensive saxophone I receive half-a-dozen fake "second chance offers" after the auction has closed. I'm not saying this person is going to rip you off, but it's always better to error on the side of caution.

Reply To Post

2. by SaxMan
        (559 posts)

19 years ago

play both, if you like the early ones, go for it, if you like the late ones, you would be throwing your money away - get a yanagisawa if you like the late mark vI's. The early ones play better - like a vintage sax, the late ones are more modern.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Now I really want to buy a bari sax., speacilly the Selmer mark VI (with low A), Why the early mark VI is over $7000 and some is below $5000? Is it worth to buy the early one? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- it's all about the market establishing price. All other things equal, the MarkVI from 1954 to the early 60s are the most coveted, therefore they have a higher antique value.

Reply To Post

1. by Goldref18
            (145 posts)

19 years ago

Also to note: In my experience and the experience of many of my fellow players, the VIs are best in alto and tenor, while you can very easily find soprano and bari saxes that are far superior to VI bari and sopranos. Personally i think the Serie III Baris are really good as well as the 90R Keilworths and possibly, if you have the right set up, a cannonball Big Bell Global Series Bari. Just make sure you try many of each model horn you want. Good Luck

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by SaxMan
              (559 posts)

19 years ago

obviously it is you who is a know nothing - there is no such thing as a series III bari - there is no such thing as a 90R bari - and I dont really consider the sx90r to be a model either - just an sx90 with toneholes added, which are completely useless in about 8 of 10 cases. And keilworth is not how you spell it smarty pants. Not to mention, the mark VI's made in the 70's are the MOST modern sounding of them all. I ahve played several from the 70's - including a low A alto from 71 - and one from the late 50's. The one form the fifties was by FAR a superior - the tone was mcuh bigger, the tone was darker. And yanagisawa saxes are heavily based off the mark VI - in fact during the 60's and 70's a yanagisawa basically was a mark VI, just with cheaper materials.

Reply To Post

2. by Goldref18
              (145 posts)

19 years ago

there is no such thing as a series III bari - there is no such thing as a 90R bari ok so i guess the horn i physically once played didn't exist.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by barimachine
              (323 posts)

19 years ago

there is a series II bari not a series III

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
            (767 posts)

19 years ago

----------------------------------------------------------------------- You in general seem to jump to a lot of conclusions. And i would rather play on a poor serial number Mark VI (160-190k) Than any crappy Japanese horn. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- sayeth the 'no-nothing-conclusion-jumper number two'!

Reply To Post

2. by Solid VI
          (1 post)

7 years ago

Everything is a personal choice, however, for my money I've never played a better bari than my 1970, SSN 173xxx, low A Bari.  I bought it new in Paris and it looks almost as good as it did then, and plays every bit as good.  The only way I'd ever sell it is if someone came with 10K plus in cash and waved it in front of me.  It's probably worth more than that, even with the Asian horns destroying the US prices.  I've read the comments on here so far and if a horn is played out I'd agree with the prices.  Not, howver, for an excellent condition VI bari Low A.

Reply To Post

3. by sgt17594
          (31 posts)

19 years ago

I just want to buy a Selmer baritone sax. whatever mark VI at early or later, as a player, I really want to buy a good sax.! I find a early low A selmer mark VI around $7000, that is fariry price or not? If the later VI is around $5000, is it fairy???

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
            (559 posts)

19 years ago

we need more information - pictures and such.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Selmer would not be my first choice in a Bari. Nor would it be my last. I really like the old Beuscher Baritones, as well as the King Zephyr Bari and Conn 12M (13M's with low A, if you can find one). The Selmer Bari you played is probably a series II Goldref. Series III hasn't made it out yet, but it's coming. I'll be the first to admit, I really don't know a lot about Mark VI's period! I have an early Mk VI tenor, which I keep in my closet and play a Conn 10M. I like Selmer Alto's but that's about it. Selmer tenors and bari's just sound a little too "French" for my taste; meaning "stuffy with "no bells".

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by sgt17594
                (31 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for your advise! ^_^ In Hong Kong, Conn and Beusher is not the common sax in the market. All you can find is Selmer, Yamaha, Yani, Jupiter and some Taiwans' sax (I only meet a "poor" vintage Conn 12M tenor 3 yrs ago, it sit for repairing now!) Besides, It is hard to find the parts, pad.... Actually, I really want to try....

Reply To Post