Saxophone Forum

by barisaxiguy
(50 posts)
19 years ago

what the..

all my reeds broke, so i bough a new box, the same as i always use, la voz medium hard. i sucked on it for awhile to get it wet, and all of the new reeds cant seem to get my low Bb or low A out, they come out in "blahs" sounding like a prepubecent boy.. i need help.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by YanagisawA-901
    (312 posts)

19 years ago

Re: what the..

they are either not broken in or they suck..i dont like ja voz..for me the only way to go is vandoren, cane is great.. try vandorens..

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by The_MarkVI
      (80 posts)

19 years ago

vandoren blue=ewwww. javas are all right. rico royal good, hemke good, la loz great maybe u had a bad reed (or box)

Reply To Post

1. by Hexaclon
        (90 posts)

19 years ago

Man, what ever you do, just dont lower your jaw to play that Bb and A. I actualy developed a bad habbit just because of that.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

19 years ago

Try the Alexanders. I'm using the DCs right now, and they are great on low notes. I can take a size 3 and play low Bb at pianissimo for as long as I need and keep it totally even. That wasn't as conceivable with Vandorens. I really like the tone Vandorens produce, but they tend to give out when you get anywhere at or above a high F#.

Reply To Post

2. by Spike
          (248 posts)

19 years ago

yeah, just keep you jaw low all the time, geez. you probably got on the receiving end of a bad cane harvest. it happens. that's why la voz are cheap

Reply To Post

3. by Goldref18
          (145 posts)

19 years ago

Well what kind of mouthpiece do you have? La Voz are all hand made reeds (As are vandoren but Vandorens are better :-D) so u could in theory try out like 30 and get different capablitlies out of every single one. I don't like them personally because they are made from Rico and don't usually perform like my boy Vandoren. (Te-He) Blue Box are ok but i would strongly reccommend trying out some Vandoren ZZs or maybe even some Javas if you play on a metal piece. Also your lig will make an enourmous difference. Try some Francois-Louis Ligs. I would scrap the La Voz though, i never can get any kind of good sound out of them.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM