Saxophone Forum

by FutureBandTeacher
(45 posts)
19 years ago

BARI plastic alto sax reed hardness

The BARI plastic alto sax reed, which I would like to try, comes in three sizes: soft, medium, and hard. I am playing on a 3.5 reed in band. Does anyone know whether mediums or hards are equal to a 3.5 cane reed?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: BARI plastic alto sax reed hardness

Not a big fan of plastic reeds. I haven't tried the BARI reeds, but I've used the fibracell and a few others. I bought a med. soft fibracell and it's way too soft for my taste. I can't get a good tone with it at all. I generally use a 2 1/2 Vanduren and often trim a little off the tip so they're about a 2 3/4.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by Goldref18
    (145 posts)

19 years ago

BARI are not made of plastic. They are made of wackedup space stuff but they are basically composite cane that "sound" and "Play" like cane (i don't buy it) Idk how the size chart works though

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by The_MarkVI
      (80 posts)

19 years ago

a medium is like a 2.5 a hard is like a 3 why do u want one anyway? legeere are WAY better

Reply To Post

1. by FutureBandTeacher
        (45 posts)

19 years ago

Well, I suppose I need a hard reed then. I want a BARI reed made of "whackedup space stuff" because we are performing in two Christmas parades this December and doing a Veterans' Day concert November 11, and it will be COLD. Think along the lines of "cane reeds contract and expand with the temperature, so after a bit of contracting and expanding they split", OK? Work with me here. I'm just now experimenting with reeds, so let the band student who lives nowhere near a private instructor have a little fun and please JUST ANSWER MY QUESTION.

Reply To Post

1. by Goldref18
          (145 posts)

19 years ago

I've been up and down the marching band seen you'll be fine with a cane reed. They will also be a lot better in terms of sound and control and you will almost definately produce a more desirable sound.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by FutureBandTeacher
          (45 posts)

19 years ago

yes, my director mentioned that a synthetic reed will produce a sound like a baby lawnmower. I've just been looking at some other options. We're doing outdoor gigs--a concert and two parades, with outdoor practices--and cane reeds expand and contract, expand and contract, until they're literally split in two. For indoor and warm-weather gigs, though, I'll take your word for it. Keep me posted on the integrity of cane reeds in colder weather, like between 30's and 50's.

Reply To Post

3. by mozzard
          (4 posts)

19 years ago

I want to sell my SELMER MARK VI Engraved Alto Sax '54 is in verry good conditions and have a good price..If you are intereted contact me at : [email protected] ..thank you ..i wait your answer ..Regards

Reply To Post

4. by Goldref18
          (145 posts)

19 years ago

I played the Stanford parade last year in CT (What a shlep) and it was 13F and i was using a cane reed and we were in and out doors during the parade (because of the way the route was made and the free time we had) and the reed was absolutely fine. It only changed the slightest bit not even making a difference in sound.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

5. by FutureBandTeacher
          (45 posts)

19 years ago

The reed was fine? OMG wow. I'll tell my director.

Reply To Post

6. by Goldref18
          (145 posts)

19 years ago

Well it played for me. I also reccommend using cheap cane reeds like Ricos. Don't go out and buy some Vandorens for a marching gig since after a parade in the cold it most certainly won't be suitable for real ensemble use.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

7. by FutureBandTeacher
          (45 posts)

19 years ago

Good point. A Vandoren would hardly be fit for "Once a Bleak Midwinter" at a concert after 3 hours of "Frosty the Snowman", "Holly Jolly Christmas", and "Jingle Bell Rock" at 30 degrees Fahrenheit outside.

Reply To Post

8. by The_MarkVI
          (80 posts)

19 years ago

Legeere are GREAT plastics i use a 3 1/4 for concert. (yes a 3 1/4) they come in fourth sizes

Reply To Post

9. by Goldref18
          (145 posts)

19 years ago

They're plastic? I thought they were like some weird composite material. Also, how long do they last and how do they affect the sound? i have heard from many different places that they are detrimental to the sound of the horn, and from one person i heard that it is a good idea to get a different mouthpiece when you make the switch over to composite reeds.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

10. by FutureBandTeacher
          (45 posts)

19 years ago

My current mouthpiece is plastic. When I try BARIs, what material of mouthpiece do I need and what brand do any of you guys recommend for a Yamaha alto?

Reply To Post

11. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

The material makeup of your mouthpiece makes little difference. It's more the geometric design that gives it its playing characteristics. I find plastic or hard rubber mouthpieces more comfortable to play on, however, and if it's going to be particularly cold outside, I wouldn't be looking to put my lips on a freezing cold piece of metal. BARI's will work on any mouthpiece design. For typical Yamaha 4C type mouthpiece facings, go with the hard strength reed as it's rather closed. Like anything and everything saxophonic, you have to try it for yourself to see if it works for you. I love them, but I've been using them for over 15 years, so I'm used to their characteristics.

Reply To Post

12. by FutureBandTeacher
          (45 posts)

19 years ago

Um, my director just decided synthetics are a bad idea, but I'm free to Xperiment with cane reeds.

Reply To Post

13. by Goldref18
          (145 posts)

19 years ago

IDK i think that the type of mpc you have makes a big difference in sound quality because a plastic mpc (Besides Brilharts) are generally not as good as a hard rubber piece or even a metal one.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

14. by FutureBandTeacher
          (45 posts)

19 years ago

I use Ricos. They're what the band director provides for us from Rush's. Vandorens are my next experiment, and I'm using those for indoor solos and ensemble.

Reply To Post