Saxophone Forum

by YanagisawA-901
(312 posts)
19 years ago

Help me out guys..

i kno im a dick or w/e and u dont like me, but this is buggn me.. i have a yani 901, my tone is getting a little better, its a bit inconsistant, i think its just cuz i dont practice really at all at home.. but my middle D, always does this weird thing when it like gos "monotone" and doesnt sound like a note at all..but every other note of the scale plays fine..but every now and then the D does that weird thing.. is that maybe a leak somewhere?? or just poor support?? or what?? do i need to go get all my keys regulated and all that crap?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Help me out guys..

sounds like a stuffy D. The D is a problem note on a lot of saxophones including my Buescher. A leak would definately cause some of that trouble, or you could try adding some low C# to see if that helped at all (though it would hurt an already dodgy note's intonation)

Reply To Post

2. by senior
    (23 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Help me out guys..

I have owned and played the 901 for about 18 months. I assume your talking about the forth line D. There are two things I found to clear up that. The first is to make sure your throat is open and not conscrited. If that does not work, play the D as usual but also depress the left hand D palm key. To check for a leak, play a normal D with octave key. Then play a second time using the left hand D palm key. There will be a change in tone but should not be a change in the note. If there is a change in the note, like being flat or sharp. Then you do have a leak.

Reply To Post