Saxophone Forum

by jushden
(17 posts)
19 years ago

refacing mouthpieces

i have tons and tons of mouthpiece blanks for tenor and for alto. i am interested in learning how to reface and alter mouthpieces so that i might be able to make decent mouthpieces for myself. does anyone out there know if there is a book i could use to learn or any websites where i could learn about how to do this. also, what specific tools will i need and where could i get them. any help would be great. thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Goldref18
    (145 posts)

19 years ago

Re: refacing mouthpieces

Go to a big music store and find out. I also think that it's cool to make your own reeds from reed blanks but it's kinda hard and i dunno too much about carving up cane. But i would look at www.wwbw.com for books on mpc carving.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by SaxMan
      (559 posts)

19 years ago

hes talking abotu mouthpieces. Get the ralph morgan refacing kit, a digital feeler gauge, something perfectly flat - a slab of granite or marble, then email johannes gerber for the rest of the tools and literature on the subject.

Reply To Post

1. by Goldref18
        (145 posts)

19 years ago

Where can you actually buy mpc blanks, and what do they look like?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

19 years ago

it could be anything - even a regular mouthpiece that you just want to totally redo - I have about 6 blanks for refacing, but I havent found time for them yet - all are just student model mouthpieces. blanks for the sake of being blanks look just like the mouthpieces that the manufacturer makes. I think you can get blanks from babbit, but dont know of any modern suppliers - you can also get used blanks, like buescher blanks or conn blanks, but those can be expensive. (for a blank.) another thing for that kit that I forgot - you might want to get a few different tip wands so you can make a few of the different facing curves.

Reply To Post