Saxophone Forum

by katfish
(2 posts)
19 years ago

yanagisawa 901

I've got a new Yani 901 and have been having trouble controlling the G, G# and A up the octave. The sax seems to want to play the first harmonic and I can't always control it to get the right note out. I've taken it to two repairers and one of them has adjusted my octave key. This has just meant that I now cannot tigthen the crook onto the sax properly and I am playing a lot sharper than I was (so much so that I cannot tune up to my band) and I still have a problem with those notes up the octave. The problem with the squeaking is intermittant but not controllable when it happens. I've tried 3 Yani 901s and had the same problem on each. I've also asked a couple of other sax players to have a go and 2/3 of them had the same problem (the other was a professional sax player who played it for about 2 minutes). Has anyone else had a similar problem and does anyone know what the problem could be???

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by ollie_sellers
    (1 post)

19 years ago

Re: yanagisawa 901

Have you had any luck with this issue? I just ordered a T901 and then ran across your post. I had some similar issues with my Keilwerth EX90 II. The intonation was driving me and our director crazy. Hence, the need to order a new horn. I'm hoping to not have this issue too. Have you tried other mouth pieces and reeds? Neck cork problems?

Reply To Post

1. by katfish
      (2 posts)

19 years ago

I had a few people play the sax to see if it was me or the instrument. We finally decided it was the instrument but may just take a bit of getting used to and/or a different mouthpiece. I'm using softer reeds and that seems to have made it a little easier. I have also tried it with a wider metal mouthpiece which again made it easier on the higher octave but difficult on the lower octave. I think its a case of keep trying different combinations until you get the sound and feel you're after. Aside from this I love my Yani - it has a great sound and feel, which is why I decided to stick with it and learn to control the higher octave.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

A few things, you should take your horns to a good tech, and have them adjust the pad heights of the out of tune notes for you, that should help tune you up. adjusting the octave key for that is pointless, it wont do anything. Also, it doesnt matter what sax you get, or what note you tune to, some of the notes will always be a little sharper, and some a little flatter. YOU as a player have to know what to do at those times to get your horn to come into tune. Mostly that means lipping it up or down to get it it, and sometimes there are tricks you can use(ex: if your line 4 D is sharp, add your low B key and it should tune up!) Hope this helps you some

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by yaniguy1295
          (1 post)

12 years ago

I've just encountered similar problems, except it's at the lower end of the horn. If I played Chromatically from C (on the staff) I could get to an F natural without the horn doing anything funny, but if I went down to the E below that, it would start to kick up a harmonic. I couldn't figure out the reason why. I thought that the problem was my embouchre. I recently started playing Tuba with my Marching Band, and thought that it may be the problem, but I doubt it is, being that I also play Bari on a regular basis and the embouchre isn't really that different from the two (with the obvious exception that one is a woodwind, while the other is a brasswind instrument). 
          I will update you with what my private teacher finds. 

Reply To Post

2. by kccmc
        (1 post)

9 years ago

Though your message was a long time ago, I have the same problem, really focused on the high G, with my Yanagisawa T992. The high G is really difficult to control and so wants to jump up to a D. The effect is more or less the same across three mouthpieces and several different reeds and hardnesses.

This is interesting: http://www.gloger-handkraft.com/accoustic.htm. It would be nice to hear more from anyone that has encountered or, better yet, found a solution.

Reply To Post