Saxophone Forum

by tenor562
(297 posts)
19 years ago

metal legit pieces tenor

what are some good metal tenor pieces for tenor in concert band? just wondering what's out there. Selmer Classic? What else is out there?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by tenor562
    (297 posts)

19 years ago

Re: metal legit pieces tenor

whoa, I meant pieces like mouthpieces

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
      (559 posts)

19 years ago

metal pieces arent worth it - the air flow and larry teal are both WAY better than the metal classic - dont know of any other classic metal pieces though.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

19 years ago

you may find the LT is too closed for even concert work on tenor. I use a Tenor metal classic for concert tenor. It's a very nice piece, all things considered, for classical work. It's what seems to be a rare breed amongst tenor mouthpieces - round in chamber. Mine's quite comfortable in an E facing.

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

19 years ago

yea, the LT is a b star, and I'm on 4C right now. I'm thinking about saving up for a tenor metal classic. How does everyone like the new Selmer Soloists? They sound like a pretty good versatile piece. I'm also thinking about getting a Hite Artist piece. I've seen the bari version, and it sounds really good, and the user is quite happy with it.

Reply To Post

2. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

19 years ago

theyre so smalle because the chamber is so big - lots of resistance.

Reply To Post

3. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

19 years ago

I'm thinking about the Soloists, or the Hite Artist. They seem to be pretty versatile. do you think a C** would do the trick. I think the hite artist is my best choice, put on a brancher leggerio or Optimum, i'd get a pretty nice tone. Now back to metal mouthpieces. My teacher, and Marcel Mule, and James Houlik (might be wrong) used a metal piece, how come there isn't anything except the selmer metal classic. I know SR technologies makes a piece, but it's $350, way too much. How is the Selmer Metal Classic, what other metal legit mpcs are there?

Reply To Post

4. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

You may find any given mouthpiece to be different that I. *I* find the Metal Classic E to be very good, albiet mine has what I believe to be a small flaw in the facing which I must accomodate by reed positioning and type. It has a tight and low roll-over baffle, modest rail thickness, and a round chamber most would consider to be medium in size. The sound is very pure with very little buzz. It's what i'd consider dark and rich, but projects well and gives me good control at all dynamics. It offers better tone stability than the Soloist E I am using while i have it refaced, but better tone colors. I have found it works well for me with a Hemke #3 or V16 #2.5

Reply To Post

5. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

The soloist is a nice piece which is fairly dark, but sounds "Tubby" and broad.

Reply To Post