Saxophone Forum

by CallmeMom
(1 post)
19 years ago

HELP! I'm clueless

Hello. I'm new, and I've come here on a quest! My oldest daughter plays piano (which is a family heirloom we possess), my next daughter plays a cornet which was one of her aunt's. The problem is that my next daughter plays both violin and now saxophone. I have been trying to figure out what is a good instrument without spending over $1600 for my fifth grader who may or may not continue playing. She is learning on a new music store rental, that she has with her at school today but I believe it is a Selmer Aristocrat (maybe A300 or something like that, I can't remember right now). I am not an instrument snob (obviously) and would love to buy a used or inexpensive sax. I have four children and am rather thrifty (I even like being called cheap!) My husband and I both played instruments in school and know realistically that once my children are out of school they will probably rarely-never pick up their instruments again. I read conflicting ideas on just about every company's instruments, and am getting a feeling that it is personal preference and individual instrument more than anything else. PLEASE help me if you can with instruments that are definitely ones to stay away from, or things to look for when looking at used saxophones; and of course what are the better instruments as well. When possible I prefer leaving middle men out (such as stores, realtors, etc.), but if I hear I'd be smarter to pay more and have them in I will definitely consider that advice. Thank you very much! :-)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: HELP! I'm clueless

Hey wait a minute! We're NOT all teenagers here! "long on boastful opinion but short on useful knowledge"?, SPEAK FOR YOURSELF!!! CallmeMom, There are many really good beginner instruments out there without spending a lot of money. There are some really nice used saxes with fresh pads that can be bought for well under $1000. You can usually buy a NEW Yamaha YAS23, a student model Keilwerth, a Selmer/Buescher, or a Jupiter for less than $1500 for an alto. I would favor the Keilwerth or the Selmer/Buescher, personally, but let her try out a couple and see what works best for her. I would caution you about some of the real inexpensive Asian saxes out there. Many of the saxes made in China and Taiwan are very poor quality. Stick to reputable brands like Conn, Buescher, Selmer, Yamaha, Keilwerth, Yanagasawa, or Jupiter (although Jupiter wouldn't my first choice). Any of these will serve the purpose. I would just let her decide what feels the most comfortable to her. Just don't let her get her hands on a Selmer series III (Paris Model) or NOTHING she plays will be good enough!!!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by Duke Snider
      (3 posts)

19 years ago

Here, here... I'm a professional Smooth Jazz Sax Musician, Composer, Producer...

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

"Unfortunately, this forum is populated mostly by teens, who are long on boastful opinion but short on useful knowledge" Just SaxMan.....most of the rest of us know what we're talking about!

Reply To Post Yahoo!