Saxophone Forum

by StrugglingFSUsax
(2 posts)
19 years ago

Development of classical saxophone and its place in music today...

Well, I stumbled upon this site so I might as well make use of it. I'm a freshman at Frostburg State University, I'm a music education major primary instrument alto sax. College has hit me with quite a few new things, music theory, marching band, aural skills...and more importantly, the art of classical saxophone. Up until this year in my mind classical was for violins. However I now have to write a five page paper on the development of classical saxophone and its place in music today; including the reception of it, technical developments, important works, composers who have made major contributions, the major players, and the major performers/teachers/schools of saxophone today. If any of you know of some good sites that I could find information like this I would be highly appreciative. So far, I have a single book, The Cambridge Companion to the Saxophone, that my entire paper is riding on. Thank you. ~Alecia

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by PsuSax
    (25 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Development of classical saxophone and its place in music today...

Hi Alecia, I know exactly what you are talking about with this paper! Your teacher just finished his masters in perf/theory here at PSU last year. I'm a fifth year senior in music ed at PSU and spent the last two years playing in ensmebles with Erik. Erik is a great guy and he really does want you guys to be informed about the saxophone community. As far as this business with your paper goes there are a ton of resources out there. I'll name a few to try and give you a start. Technical Development/Pedagogy/Teaching Larry Teal: Art of Playing the Saxophone Michael Hester: Masterclasses Jean-Marie Londiex: Master of the Modern Saxohpone Major Players: Marcel Mule, Jean-Marie Londiex, Claude Delange, Fred Hemke, Cecil Leeson, Donald Sinta, Eugene Rousseau, Lynn Klock, John Sampen, Tim McCallister, John Harle (be careful mentioning him in Erik's presence), Joe Lulloff, Dale Underwood, and the list goes on, and on. Contributors: Look at the names above especially searching for who has commissioned many works, revolutionized technique and teaching methods, or contributed to the recording collection of saxophone music. Also look for individuals who have become leaders in the community so much so that they have a 'following.' and you can trace your teachers' teacher back to them. Some of these being Don Sinta, Eugene Rousseau, Fred Hemke, Claude Delange, Jean-Marie Londiex, etc. Erik is a 'Sinta' guy. Almost every teacher he has studied with learned from Sinta (Tim McCallister, Carrie Koffman, David Stambler, etc). Get the idea? As far as finding strong programs, just look for the universities that these saxophonists are associated with. They are reknowned for strong programs that churn out fantastic saxophonists and musicians. You can find a ton of great sites that will repertoire lists such as the Capitol Quartet's page (I think). Also check out the web pages of the names above, they usually have an accompanying rep. list. If I remember correctly whoever teaches at University of Texas has a great list that is fairly comprehensive. Also look up the Paris Conservatory in Bordeaux. Try to find an archived listing of their 'Gran Prix' (ie. Jury Pieces composed by composers on faculty there). This will lead you to many of the major works for the saxophone. Or just get in contact with me and I'll try to email you a big list or something. My email is [email protected]. I hope this helps, if you need any more help just IM me. My sn is wa1ker00. You probably shouldn't let Erik know that I'm helping you ;) because he'll get on my case and yours. Good Luck and Keep on Practicing! Andrew Walker

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Face
      (11 posts)

19 years ago

I'm quite surprised that you left out James Houlik from the list of performers, especially when he has nearly single-handedly carved the place for the classical tenor saxophone. He's a very widely recognized and talented musician.

Reply To Post

1. by PsuSax
        (25 posts)

19 years ago

Hence the phrase "and the list goes on and on." I know you study with him and everything but I was thinking off the top of my head while trying to help this other person out. Sorry I left him out.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by PsuSax
      (25 posts)

19 years ago

Hi again, Forgot to about the reception of the saxophone. Look for newspaper/magazine reviews of performances. Sometimes these are biased because they will appear on the performers web page and we all know that it would be retarded to put a newpaper article there that said you sucked, so keep that in mind. You can also find out more by checking out classical saxophone CD reviews through amazon or some other CD vendor such as Tower Music, or Virgin Records. To find the major works, compare several repertoire lists (at least 5-7) from varying teachers (not all Sinta people). Look for pieces that are in common between all of these lists. This will almost definitely include the Glazanov, Ibert, Dubois, and Dahl Concertos as well as numerous sonatas and solo works. Good Luck and let me know if you need any help, Andrew

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by phathorn
        (165 posts)

19 years ago

More major players.....James Forger (there would be no Lulloff w/o Forger), Allen Rippe, Grif Campbell, Otis Murphy, Tamiur Sullivan, Matthew Levy (both prism quartet guys with Tim), etc...Second the thought about Houlik, compare his tax returns with every other 'legit' saxophonist in the U.S. He put em all to shame as a performer.

Reply To Post

3. by lovealissa
      (1 post)

17 years ago

Reply To Post