Saxophone Forum

by Hexaclon
(90 posts)
19 years ago

What would you answer?

Hey! I was at a gig and this guy asked me, "Are you a good player?" I really froze, cause sincerily I think I suck, but I really don't want to scare him off. I told him I was still a beginer. What would you answer?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

19 years ago

Re: What would you answer?

well id tell them not as good as people non-players think i am but good enough that they PAY me it's all relative!

Reply To Post

2. by Saxman2200
    (64 posts)

19 years ago

That there is no such thing as a good player. There are prepared players and unprepared players, and I try my best to be prepared (or play him mary had a little lamb and let him decide for himself)

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

19 years ago

"well, I try my best" dunno

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by martysax
        (148 posts)

19 years ago

I tell them to stick around and get near the dance floor fast because it fills up fast. I also tell them some of the songs that feature me, like "Pick up the Pieces" or "Mr Magic"

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

"Pick up the Pieces" & "Mr Magic", Both great songs that I love to play the CRAP out of!!!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by martysax
          (148 posts)

19 years ago

I'm lucky, my singers are so un-coordinated that I get a lot of room on almost every song. I really play the CRAP out of songs like "Ladie's Night" at a wedding!

Reply To Post

2. by Spike
        (248 posts)

19 years ago

"i suck... but i'm better than him.(points at the other guy after the gig)"

Reply To Post

2. by peter090
      (155 posts)

19 years ago

If I thought I sucked I wouldn't be worried about scaring someone off. I'd be worried about GETTING the gig. If I thought I was good enough for the gig I'd tell him that. If I thought I was a thousand times the player he needed I'd say I'm pretty good. If it was just conversation I'd tell them how long I'd been playing and what sort of stuff I'd done.

Reply To Post

1. by Spike
        (248 posts)

19 years ago

well, the "i suck" comment is just modesty, or perhaps understanding that you can always be a lot better.

Reply To Post

1. by Hexaclon
          (90 posts)

19 years ago

Hey, I really think I could be playing mutch better than I'm playing right now. (I've been too mutch time), but what can I do? I'l just keep trying.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

19 years ago

How about "Thank you!" Wudya Momma teach you?

Reply To Post