Saxophone Forum

by barimachine
(323 posts)
19 years ago

best baris

i play bari and i have a series II which i love but i havent played many vintage baris which do you like and for what...mostly jazz the big thing that id like to know in this thread is about low A which are the best baris with the low A as conn 12m dont have em difference and just general preference

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by BariSaxplyr
    (35 posts)

19 years ago

Re: best baris

I must say if your looking for a great big jazz sound, the older pre-WWII conns are the greatest, with the rolled tone holes. For something that is an all around great horn, if you can find a nice mark Vi, I would say its the greatest horn there is. I personally don't like the Low A, as it changes the overall sound of the horn, hence why writes like Thad Jones never wrote for it. But I don't know, I've played one or two mark VI's with a Low A that i like. I heard the selmer series III baritone is coming out soon, so im interested to see what that brings to the market

Reply To Post

2. by barisaxiguy
    (50 posts)

19 years ago

IMO its not the bari that makes the sound quality, but the lig/reed/mpc.

Reply To Post

1. by barimachine
      (323 posts)

19 years ago

fine then geez best lig reed mpc

Reply To Post

1. by barisaxiguy
        (50 posts)

19 years ago

sry couldnt help ya there

Reply To Post

1. by bariguy
          (25 posts)

19 years ago

i played a serie II, they are great horns. i think they have great intonation. But man i also play a low A couf superba 1, and there is a huge difference, the sound is so dark and fat. it is unbeatable in my opinion. i played it for both jazz and classical. it works great for both. i played some Mulligan solos on it and it sounded great.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Spike
          (248 posts)

19 years ago

i love the couf bari. then again, i also love the keilwerth bari^_^ yamaha isn't bad for them... i don't like the seriesII bari...

Reply To Post

3. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

i love the series II bari the intonation is insane especially with the yuck c** thats with it you can go from low A to high f # without doing anything and its flawless

Reply To Post

2. by alhadro
        (6 posts)

19 years ago

I play a Mark VI. I think its wonderful. This is what Ronnie Cuber uses. Gary Smulyan sounds great on an old Conn. He gets a huge sound and a big low end. But the fingering placement on Conns can be awkward. Mulligan used an old Conn as well. Nick Brignola used Keilwerth saxes, but i think mostly because they paid him money to. I Don't like the Series II. All the ones i have seen have been poorly constructed. They also are ridiculously heavy compared to other brands. They sound mediocre, and while they have improved the intonation from the mark vi's everything else has gone downhill.

Reply To Post

1. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

i have a series II and i say its better that the original super 80 and as for weight being an issue so what its not like your carrying lead if you cant handle heavy saxes play an alto

Reply To Post

1. by definition
            (963 posts)

19 years ago

I think the Cannonball Big bell is a great bari. Mine is in black nickel and the sound is extremely powerful in all registers. My mouthpieces are an origional streamlined Geo M. Bundy HR, a Dukoff Hollywood, a Dukoff Super power chamber, a selmer S80, and a Jody Jazz piece Reeds are Alexanders, LaVoz, or Rico Jazz Selects

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM