Saxophone Forum

by YanagisawA-901
(312 posts)
19 years ago

OOOO lordy lord...

ok, ive finally accepted the fact that growling is super hard.. my sax teacher the other day, for some unknown reason and i dont know where the hell he came up with all these ideas..but for about 10 minutes straight, he was improving like ive never heard in my life.. my friend eric and him were trading 4's or 8s with my friend lopez who was kinda layin out a old school funk beat.. but all hte sudden my teacher just kinda stole 10, then 20 measures and went for about 10 minutes rockin the hell outta my sax..he gave every little bit of skill or anything he had and i was amazed.. so i asked him how u growl and he even sed growl in ur throte, almost hum but not quite.. i can do it tho.. are there like, any progressive exersises for growling?? i can like growl off of the mouthpiece and while still growling put my mouth on the mouthpiece for like 1-2 seconds i can get somthing out.. heeellpp!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SaxMan
    (559 posts)

19 years ago

Re: OOOO lordy lord...

you can either hum, or actually growl with your throat - both are hard to do. there are certain false fingerings too, that you can get a semi growl out of.

Reply To Post

1. by Spike
      (248 posts)

19 years ago

Re: OOOO lordy lord...

yeah, it's really just a practice thing. Eventually you get to where you can turn it on like a light switch, much like legit vibrato, back tongueing, etc. be carefull with practicing it though, i kept getting the hiccups when i was working growling.

Reply To Post