Saxophone Forum

by Sportsax
(4 posts)
19 years ago

neck for LA-Sax Tenor

I have been playing this LA-Sax Tenor LA-800 since 1998 when I purchased it new. It plays great for me and have no plans to replace it with another horn. The only problem is that I have broke the neck off at the solder point during playing several times. I am considering replacing this neck with the copper Selmer on this website. Except for the logo, the design looks identical to the one I am using now. I believe this LA-Sax tenor is a Selmer clone. Anybody know if the Selmer neck will work on my tenor? Thanks for your help. Kevin C.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sportsax
    (4 posts)

19 years ago

Re: neck for LA-Sax Tenor

Never mind Folks...I believe it will and besides, I can return it if it doesn't...thanks

Reply To Post

2. by frasermanx
    (9 posts)

19 years ago

Yo .. Hey I have one of those Tenor LaSax too!! But I never have liked the neck!! .. I was thinking getting a Barone neck... what MPC are you using? My serial # is 8-0126 I think but maybe not same horn as yours .. mine is black. The D2 is very stuffy when I play in the corner. I have tried Selmer C*, Runyon 7 RicoRoyal 5 with #3 fibracell and ligature reeds without improvement. I have spent a lot ot time regulating the horn, sealing leaks Compared to my Yamaha YTS-23, I like the LaSax Tenor a bit better, although the high notes are too thin, the low notes are good but the action is not very fluid. Please share some experinece. thanks

Reply To Post

1. by Sportsax
      (4 posts)

19 years ago

Hello frasermanx, Good to hear from a fellow LA-Sax person. I have a LA-800 with the Silver Newport finish. I purchased it 1998 while working at a music store (I was able to get it at cost + 10%). I had just graduated from college with a Bachelor of Music of the sax and had played on a school furnished Selmer MarkVI. I have a Gary Sugal metal mouthpiece that has JB 101 and the date 6-2001 on it. The ligature is a custom handbuilt one by Tom Layton of Lawton, Oklahoma. He still don't have a patent on the design yet. He used to be one of the repairmen at the University of North Texas and he calls this horn "A Selmer on steriods". I use #3 ZZ's right now for reeds. The horn is a phenomenal playing beast. It screams or whispers from the sub-tones to super high alttissimo and pure joy to play. I have found my lifetime horn but the neck must have a design flaw in it or something. I just ordered the Selmer copper neck and an keeping my fingers crossed that it will work OK. The high notes are a little thin like you say but I have learned to open my throat in that area almost breaking into a "growl" to open it up. I also use the side palm D alot on the D2. Overall, I think my horn is great and it makes my happy. :)

Reply To Post

1. by frasermanx
        (9 posts)

19 years ago

Nice to hear that you are happy with the horn. I was told that mine was an intermediate model. go here to see pix ecommons.net/~frax/sax -- some other pix too of other horns. I would like to know what "quality" this one is?? My D2 is very stuffy .. not much helps. I don't have a metal MPC but maybe I should get one since I love the weird strange sounds ... I also like the whispering sounds .. but have trouble controlling the tendency to jump an octave. Maybe the pads are too old?? I like to do my own work so thinking of repadding it. My YTS-23 has better intonation though.

Reply To Post

1. by Sportsax
          (4 posts)

19 years ago

I'm not sure of the quality of your intermediate line of LA-Sax since my experience is only with the one I play now. I don't see any reason why it would not be a good intermediate horn. I do think that LA-Sax has a reputation as a "gimmick" sax because of the wild finishes. My horn was their top of the line "Newport" Series until they came out with the "Chicago" series. This horn is very heavy with thick wall metal and heavy duty post on it. I feel that your LA-Sax Tenor and most any horn should play well if it is set-up and regulated well. I think that eventually several saxophones with the Taiwan connection will prove themselves to a higher quality than they are given credit for. Just look at the Cannonball. I just purchased an Antiqua soprano and really like it. That stuffy D sounds like your low C key is too closed even in open position. Play a D2 with your octave key depressed then slowly close the low C key...you'll hear the stuffiness kick in. With your horn jumping octaves so easy, then I sure would have a repair tech that knows the sax regulate it out. Having all your keys adjusted to the proper height has big influence on the intonation also. Unless I was playing in a rock band or big band looking for a cutting power sound, I wouldn't worry about the metal mouthpiece. Just make sure your not playing on the one that came with the horn. In general, I would say that someone could purchase your horn, take it to a reputable repair center to have it set up for optimal playing, and then have a great tenor to play on.

Reply To Post