Saxophone Forum

by DoctorCzar
(3 posts)
9 years ago

Is This a Good Sax? (Please Hurry!)

Hi! I was on Ebay yesterday doing research and looking at vintage saxophones when I came across this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1915-Harwood-Jenkins-Buescher-Curved-Soprano-Saxophone-/400999730086?hash=item5d5d724ba6

I'm been in the market for a soprano for a while and this looked like a blessing to me, not having a very big budget.  I tried to research these but found little to nothing about them this old.  This review was the closest I could find:

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Sop/buescher_truetone_curved_soprano.htm 

I've never played soprano before, as it is my reason for finally buying one.  I think that for what I want (Intermidiate - Professional) and what I can pay, this lil' Buescher looks perfect. I just need if this actually is a good sax and what you guys can find about them, aswell as if I should buy it.  Maybe the guy just labeled it wrong, but he he gives a weird description and title of it.  I would love to try it out before I buy, but I know nothing about sopranos and don't live anywhere near Texas...

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by JonHuff
    (117 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Is This a Good Sax? (Please Hurry!)

It looks ok. Keep in mind when buying a vintage horn though that it may not have all the keys you will find on a modern sax. For instance that one only goes up to high Eb (see it has just 2 palm keys) and is lacking front F. Generally the vintage curved Bueschers and Conns are decent horns, but personally I would try to get an actual Conn, etc, and not a stencil, just for resale value alone. Also, looks like that one may not have the best pad job, they look a little thick in the pad cups. Good luck in your search!

Reply To Post

1. by DoctorCzar
      (3 posts)

9 years ago

Yeah, I know that it's not THAT great, I don't need something extremely professional and don't have that much money anyways to get a really good vintage Conn or Buescher.  The sax sold today anyways so I'll probably take down this post here in a bit if nobody else has any opinions.

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

9 years ago

Fortunately there are some reasonably priced sopranos being produced in Taiwan these days, sold under such brands as Kessler and Antigua.  If you're looking for a good deal on the used market, keep an eye out for the Vito Japan sopranos - they were made by Yanagisawa.  The old Conn and Buescher sopranos from about the mid 1920s on are sweet, but the advantages of modern sopranos in terms of ergonomics and overall playability cannot be ignored.  

No need to take down your post, it is a contribution to the knowledge base. 

Reply To Post