Saxophone Forum

by watchman4
(2 posts)
8 years ago

Not ALL Keilwerth Black finish are "shadows"??????

Help, I bought a Keilwerth Tenor SX90 (not an "r') with a black finish thinking it was a "shadow" and now I find out it isn't????   What is it? and Do you know if I paid too much for it? Paid $4,200 in 1995. I think I know what the "r" means except from all I read about it, "rolled tones or notes" don't seem to have/make any difference. in tones and sounds of the instrument.

Excuse my ignorance, but I bought it thinking I was buying a "pro" model and it has been sitting ever since, since 1996. Played a little and want to start up again, but I want to play on a professional model instrument. Bought it from a local music store (now out of business) and are they going to tell me the truth??? I thought I bought a Professional Model Tenor Shadow and now I find out it isn't?  Please tell me something, or did I get ripped off again.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

8 years ago

Re: Not ALL Keilwerth Black finish are "shadows"??????

Relax, all SX-90s are pro horns.  $4200 wasn't the lowest 1990s retail price for black nickel, but not the highest either.

Reply To Post

2. by watchman4
    (2 posts)

8 years ago

Steve Howard of the UK was kind enough to confirm all I needed on this instrument. For all that are not fimillar with his web-site, he is awesome. An expert repairman, author, and reviewer, and years and years of experience. Bottom line me not having the "r" rolled tone holes instrument is far better than having the SX90r. A pain, and leakage, and warpage and on and on with this so-called advantage for getting a better sound. My opinion please don't get all over my view of this aspect of the Keilwerth the "r" vesus the straight holed instrument. 

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
      (842 posts)

8 years ago

In my one comparison of SX-90 vs SX-90R the SX-90R did have deeper, richer harmonics.  I didn't want to believe it, because the SX-90 was affordable while the SX-90R wasn't.  Kessler came to that same conclusion based on a large number of comparisons and designed their top-line horn with Keilwerth style tonehole rings as a result.  The original designer of the SX-90 (R), Peter Ponzol, came to that same conclusion and incorporated that knowledge in his design for Antigua's top-line horn.  Both accounts are on Dave Kessler's blog.  

There's a lot of weird stuff with saxophones that is not really understood according to standard woodwind theory, which is a lot less complete than some people believe.  People who put too much stock in theoretical arguments are showing their own lack of knowledge.  

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
        (420 posts)

8 years ago

Totally agree with that last statement. Too many people base their judgement about a saxophone based on what they've read on line and not on what they experience for themselves when they play the sax. Play it, experience it and base your opinion on that. If you like what have and its working for you then don't sweat about other's opinions about it and just enjoy your instrument. Your opinion is really all that matters when it comes to the saxophone you are playing. You have to be able to trust your own ears!!!

Cheers,
             Mark Overton
             www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post