Saxophone Forum

by Sax on my mind 99
(5 posts)
19 years ago

Holton's?

Does anyone know about these, I am looking at one of them from the 50's but know nothing about the brand or the sax. So if any one has any opinions or knows any sax model names, please tell me, thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Holton's?

Holtons are considered to be the "Yugo" horns among vintage saxes. Holton made their name making quality brasses such as Trombones, Double horns (French Horns) and trumpets, all of which are considered good instruments withen their pro lines. However, when the sax craze begain in the late Teens and early 20's, Holton jumped on the sax making bandwagon like every other American instrument company, but were never able to make a horn that captured any sizable share of the market. Holton attempted many gimmicks such as extra trill keys, named models such as the Virtuoso Rudy Wiedoff (sp?) models etc, but were never a success. Most of the Holton model saxophones are mediocre players sound and keywork wise, and are among the least valued horns price wise in the current market.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Holton's?

By the way, Some of Holton's model names over the years were: Beaufort, Collegiate, Elkhorn, and Rudy Wiedoeft (correct spelling). Since you mentioned that the horn you were looking at was a 50's model, it was most likely the Collegiate, which Holton began making around 1949 onwards as their student/intermediate line of horns. If you would like to see some pictures of the above models, I recommend that you go to saxpics.com site at: www.saxpics.com/the_gallery/holton

Reply To Post