Saxophone Forum

by redleaf12
(13 posts)
19 years ago

The Age Old Question (Yani 901 or Yamaha 62II)

This weekend, I'm taking my $2000 and buying a new sax. I am no longer embarassed by my preference of a new sax over the vintage saxes in my price range (at least those on sale at this particular time). I've tried the Yani 901 and the Yamaha 62II and have decided on the Yamaha because the key alignment is more comfortable for me. Plus the sound has a bit more character out of the box (something that could be remedied on the Yani with the right mouthpiece, reed, etc.) Does anyone have any serious problem with the Yamaha 62II tenor? I'm a solid intermediate player who plays in pickup bands and generally messes around for fun. Thanks for your impressions.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by p-apple
    (49 posts)

19 years ago

Re: The Age Old Question (Yani 901 or Yamaha 62II)

I played the yamaha 62 II alto and I wasn't really impressed. However, maybe the tenor 62 II is better, I don't know, but have you tried out the 82Z? Some people really like it, and even though I didn't like it I found it to be much more free-blowing than the 62 II.

Reply To Post

1. by redleaf12
      (13 posts)

19 years ago

The 82Z is too expensive. It's about $700 more than the 62II (and the 62II is pretty much too expensive as it is). But man, the 82Z sounds sweet. Thanks for the recommendation. Have you played it?

Reply To Post

1. by p-apple
        (49 posts)

19 years ago

i have played it for around an hour at my local music shop. Honest to god, it's neither are the best saxophone I've played, but I should note that both are respectable professional sax. - William Chen

Reply To Post

1. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

19 years ago

I own it. Does a good job for me. I chose it over jupiter, vintage keilwerth and selmer USA. It's way better than the student or intermediate yamahs. The feel of yamahas and ergonomics are definitely a plus. You won't be dissappointed,although it's not a Mark VI, but it's a great horn for the money. Nice case, tone, ergonomics, neck. I'm very pleased. I've owned it for 3 months, and it's allowed me to take my level of playing higher. I highly reccomened the YTS62II.

Reply To Post

2. by nad1rn
        (37 posts)

19 years ago

if you can afford it, the 82z custom is far superior to the 62II. with an s80 it woks well for classical and jazz

Reply To Post AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

They're both great horns. The Yani 901's play very well, and so do the Yamahas. The 82Z is a little brighteer and better "out of the box" for jazz, but the 62II sounds pretty good too. the Yamaha 62II is a very good choice....excellent value for the money.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by Rben20
        (35 posts)

19 years ago

Id say redleaft just to buy something that you really like...not just decide based on the price; you have to like it too! I mean this will be a sax youll have for almost a lifetime...so why not choose the sax thats closest to what your tastes...even if its a bit expensive. Good luck in buying your new sax!

Reply To Post