Saxophone Forum

by HumphreySax
(8 posts)
19 years ago

Old Vintage Sax

We have a vintage sax and we are wondering if anyone has any information or background about it; Premier America; Elkart, Indiana; Low Pitch; A5586; This is all the information we have on this saxophone. Can anyone help?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Old Vintage Sax

If you could email me some pictures of the sax, including the serial number area, and most important the keywork/keyguard areas, I am certain that I can pinpoint who made your "Stencil" sax. [email protected] Mike.

Reply To Post

1. by HumphreySax
      (8 posts)

19 years ago

Ok we will take some pictures but the serial number area is really tarnished

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
        (575 posts)

19 years ago

That is alright. What I really need from the area around the serial number is EVERY bit of information that might be stamped there, such as patent dates etc. Also, make sure that you get the bell keys and guards, bell engraving, stack keys and neck in the pictures to aid in identification. If you would, since you are going to be sending several pics, send it to: [email protected] as this address allows larger files. Mike.

Reply To Post

1. by HumphreySax
          (8 posts)

19 years ago

ok i will send you the pics at that email adress. What are the stack keys?

Reply To Post

2. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

The Stack keys are the straight line of keys that run along the lenth of the body. like this: ( )---------- /`` ooooo o oooo ) /

Reply To Post

3. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

My little illustration didn't post correctly above, but hopefully you get the picture. Cheers.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I'd like to see a pic to be sure, but I think it's an early 1920's Conn New Wonder alto stencil

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by Selmer Fan88
        (15 posts)

19 years ago

The "Martin" -saxes were made by Elkart.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

Martin saxophones were made by the Martin Music Instrument company IN Elkhart Indianna, not BY "Elkart". Without seeing the pictures I, like Jim, believe that it will turn out to be a Conn Wonder or New wonder Series I "Stencil" horn. Cheers.

Reply To Post