Saxophone Forum

by karebear1012
(395 posts)
19 years ago

Young Sax Forum Continued

Hey guys, sorry...I can't post in the other post for some reason. So what's going on in all of your bands lately? I had jazz band last night...we were short a bass player, and we just got a new one. He's pretty darn good. Cya, Kara

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by HumphreySax
    (8 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Young Sax Forum Continued

Hey guys! In my band we just had our first practice with all three of our bands combined. It was awesome and it sounded so good! Last saturday we had a christmas parade that we marched in and it started POURING rain! it sucked now some of my sax pads are sticking! We have another parade this saturday and i hope it doesnt rain again.Anyone know any cheap ways to replace/ repair damaged pads?

Reply To Post

1. by Dirty_Reggae
      (55 posts)

19 years ago

Cheapest way to do it is yourself, but you need a lot of knowledge, a steady hand, and some pads. Id get it dont professionally if i were you. As for my band im excited about Reno Jazz Fest. My jazz bands goin this year and its gonna be sweet! i hope we do well. We sound good so far so im hopin we'll be even better then. As for marching season being over, poo on that. I play oboe for it but im not a big fan.

Reply To Post

1. by jazzfool132
        (144 posts)

19 years ago

Hey has anyone heard of the Meyers 5M mouthpiece. There is a holiday sale at my local music store selling them for 69.99. I already have a nice Selmer C* and i was wondering what mouthpiece you think is better. Also, are there other Meyers mouthpieces i should look into that are better than the C* and the Meyers...like Otto Links or Berg Larsens? Thanx j

Reply To Post

1. by HumphreySax
          (8 posts)

19 years ago

It was soo much fun! Today in class we werent doing very much so me (an alto) another alto and two tenors got together and started to improvise and make awesome SKA rythms! It was really cool and since it started so good we were thinking about making a quartet and going to our local FBA Small Ensemble competition in Jan. Any suggestions

Reply To Post

2. by John Coltrane
          (84 posts)

19 years ago

well jazzfool 132 a C* and a Meyer is a totally different mouthpiece its self, a C* has a different chambe set up then a Meyer and they are used for a different set up. Meyer is for jazz ya know selmer c* for classical. but Meyer 6 or 7 is a good if you play loud a 5 if your soft. otto link rubbers r nice, the metal ones r a bit to bright and harder to play on if you have the right embochure ( however u spell it ). But yeah if a 5m is what ur lookin for, ask can u play on it, or ask if they have a bigger size one like a 6 or 7. i would get it.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by SWINGKINGZS
        (1 post)

19 years ago

if u go to any music repair shop u should be able to buy some for cheap. if ur pads are just wet, take them out and using a pair of tweezers hold them over an open flame for about 5 minutes.NOT CLOSE OR THEY WILL CATCH FIRE OR SINGE. do this for about 5 minutes, they should be dry by then

Reply To Post AIM

1. by jazzfool132
          (144 posts)

19 years ago

I bought a Tenor Berg Larsen Metal Mouthpiece from my instructor that i paid 150.00 for. I have a hard time using it do u have any comments on this piece and/or any tips? thanx -j

Reply To Post

1. by John Coltrane
            (84 posts)

19 years ago

hmm do you play alto? tenor or bari jazzfool132. Adn is the mouthpiece metal or rubber? if it was metal i could understand where you are coming from, those r a bit hard to play with. But use lots of air, its a different mouth piece and pinch your corners and drop you jaw is all i really can suggest. Just practicce on airflow, jazz mouthpieces are alot different then classical mouthpieces, good to keep in mind

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by Buddyroach
            (9 posts)

19 years ago

Hey Jazzfool i think the Meyer 5m is a GREAT! moutpiece. Keep in mind that Phil Woods play on a Mayer 5 New York. As far as projection I get the same on the meyer as i do on a Dukoff D8 so i don't think its an issue. Berg Larsen's are ok for tenor but i prefer an Otto Link, but if money isn't an issue I really like Gary Sugal mouthpieces and Peter Ponzol mouthpieces. To the person with the sticking pads: Unless they are really old and worn out don't worry about replacing them because it's rediculously expensive and you can't replace your pads everytime you have to play in a parade and it rains. You should probably just clean them. Run a dollar under them for a quick fix in class or something and when you get the chance i heard that putting some baby powder on a que tip and gently swabbing the area of your pads helps too. As far as jazz band goes all were doing is working for our winter concert and our FBA Jazz pieces.

Reply To Post

3. by barimachine
            (323 posts)

19 years ago

.....this thread..... o man o well anyway all were up to is we have festival should be ok although im really not happy about my mouthpiece sax lately 1. my intonation is terrible 2. my air is terrible 3. consistancy is shit 4. my embouchure in unsteady im not happy at all

Reply To Post

4. by John Coltrane
            (84 posts)

19 years ago

when u said ur consistancy is shit, i just had to take a moment and laugh really hard. what kind of mouthpiece r u even using?

Reply To Post Yahoo!

5. by karebear1012
            (395 posts)

19 years ago

oh yeah, i made the basketball team!!!!!! so anyways, i hope this doesnt get in the way of jazz band cuz i have bball practice EVERY day! so whatz up stobie? havent talked to u in a while

Reply To Post

6. by jazzfool132
            (144 posts)

19 years ago

how about metal WAGNER tenor mouthpieces? ARe they any good or have you even heard of them?

Reply To Post

7. by John Coltrane
            (84 posts)

19 years ago

jazzfool123 to answer your question. nope ive never heard wagner's. but keep in metals r a bit hard to play on. meyer'r r great i just dont play on one.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

8. by HumphreySax
            (8 posts)

19 years ago

Hey Buddy Roach. By FBA do you mean Florida Bandmasters Association?? bc if you do my school is also participating in that! lol we got a superior at the marching FBA and our jazz band is going this year. and we are playing a 5 and two 4s at the Concert FBA. Our grade 5 song is really hard and our band director hasnt yet decided if we are for sure going to play it but it is an awesome song that involves a lot of low woodwinds and has a really cool alto sax solo where the sax kinda sounds like an oboe or a snake charmer. Its flipping sweet!

Reply To Post

9. by Dirty_Reggae
            (55 posts)

19 years ago

Ska rythhms eh? Guess what? My school has a ska band! Were the only school ever to have ska band as a class. I play lead tenor and its a great place to just play loud and awesome. Its sweet. You you a big ska/reggae head? tell me bout it.

Reply To Post

10. by barimachine
            (323 posts)

19 years ago

yes coltrane im aware im playing on my metal jody jazz ESP .120 im not stupid i used to have more consistancy over it but now it just feels ever since i switched horn some note goes outa wack i mean i know since i havent been practicing much is why my embouchure and breathing are shit but its just ugh

Reply To Post

11. by p-apple
            (49 posts)

19 years ago

I've heard that some mouthpiece sound great on one horn but can sound like crap on another. My advice is for you to try another mouthpiece. Also, which notes go out of whack?

Reply To Post

12. by SaxMan
            (559 posts)

19 years ago

god damn...I thought I was the resident long thread starter....looks like I have some competition.

Reply To Post

13. by jazzfool132
            (144 posts)

19 years ago

Welcome the to the Young Sax Forum!! It got so big we had to move it to the Young Sax Forum Continued...Enjoy saxman!

Reply To Post

14. by karebear1012
            (395 posts)

19 years ago

oh jee, looks like ive been excluded here... ill just cyall later.=(

Reply To Post

15. by John Coltrane
            (84 posts)

19 years ago

nah non one is excluded, we're all here cuz we love the sax.

Reply To Post Yahoo!