Saxophone Forum

by nannerla
(9 posts)
19 years ago

sticky pad cure

My saxophone has a sticky residue on the g sharp key. do you guy know of something i can do to fix it? It is like pop sticky not dried spit sticky. i have already tried the dollar bill thing and used pad paper.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

19 years ago

Re: sticky pad cure

You may need to replace the pad, but first I'd try dampening a cotton swab and try to use it to spot-clean the sticky part, maybe with a little mild soap. If trying to clean it works, great, if not, replace the pad.

Reply To Post

1. by barimachine
      (323 posts)

19 years ago

id recomend contacting steve goodson or buying the pad stuff he sells... hes the man www.saxgourmet.com

Reply To Post

2. by k.o. kid
    (14 posts)

19 years ago

Use the old dollar bill trick. Take a dollar bill, fold it to fit, and place it under the key. Close the key on the dollar bill and pull the bill out several times. There's something on a dollar bill that takes the stickey residue away. Try it...you'll like it!

Reply To Post

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

19 years ago

Steve G's stuff is good, but look into the the stufffrom Charlie A, his gig dust and crud patch do an amazing job!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Try the dollar bill trick. That does work. If the pad still sticks, buy (or borrow from the trombone player sitting next to you if he's nice enough) a bottle of valve/slide oil and dap a little on the tone hole. The oil will not hurt the pad! I use this stuff all the time to oil the pivot points and keep the action smooth on my old Conns. You don't need to spend a lot of money on some fancy overpriced stuff. Even a little WD40 will do the trick actually. As long as the pad is still fairly soft, not discolored or torn and still seats properly, there's NO REASON to replace it.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

19 years ago

I've heard that transmission fluid works great for lubing up horns. it's cheap, can stand up to anything, works in heat/cold, and is thin enough to get into pads. my .02

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

by the way ABSOLUTELY DO NOT USE THE DISH SOAP IDEA!!! VERY VERY BAD and you DO NOT want to get the pads wet. You should know what water does to leather!!! It will harden the pads and can mis-shape them so they don't seat properly, and the dishsoap will also leave a sticky residue. Try the dollar bill trick. That's the best trick I know of. If that doesn't work, valve/slide oil.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by peter090
        (155 posts)

19 years ago

For cleaning and conditioning leather neatsfoot oil is cheap, works really well and you can probably pick up a bottle at a drugstore. The best temporary cure for sticky pads I've ever used is powdered graphite. It is dry lubricant you can get at a hardware store. Apply a little (it is usually sold in a container that allows you to puff out small clouds of the stuff) to the sticky pad and it will stop immediately and generally an application will last days to weeks. The best advice I ever heard about avoiding sticky pads was. Sticking pads are caused by three things. Eating, drinking and breathing. Try to avoid doing two of the three while playing. (sorry Idon't recall and can't credit the originator or that bit of wisdom)

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- Sticking pads are caused by three things. Eating, drinking and breathing. -------------------------------------------------------------------------- Sticking pads are also caused by rough edges on toneholes and improper moisture sealant on pads.

Reply To Post

2. by jazzsaxman
          (28 posts)

19 years ago

i agree with the previous post- powdered graphite is the best

Reply To Post

3. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I'm not sure about transmission fluid, I wouldn't think it would be too good on the leather pads. As for the powder graphite, I have used it on other things and it works great, but i wouldn't want to spray it on my horn. It's thick and dark in color and can get kind of messy.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

4. by peter090
          (155 posts)

19 years ago

Powdered graphite is very messy. The trick is to just puff some on the pads. It is completely dry and pretty easy to clean. I've found it to be lot more effective (and cheaper) than commercially available products. Of course that may be due to the fact that it is messier. ( more of the stuffgets on the pad perhaps) Might be something you want to try at home the first time rather than in a white tux heading on stage.

Reply To Post