Saxophone Forum

by saxlove
(2 posts)
19 years ago

New Sop. player

I'm in 7th grade, been playing alto ever since i could take school lessons(4th grade). Last year, I started playing tenor for jazz band, I still play alto in concert band. So, I've been interested in taking up soprano sax for something to just practice with at home and have fun with. I know it's in Bb, which is obviously dif. from my Eb alto. But I could practice tenor music on it, cuz it's the same key. So I could practice jazz band pieces with it. Anyway, my dads getting me an aqua gold monique. I've heard a lot of different things about moniques. I'm just a little confused. Is it an ok brand or not? And I've played pieces of crap before but I managed to adapt my playing to make it sound ok, but I'm still wondering if this sax is going to be awful or not.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by papa_smurf
    (6 posts)

19 years ago

Re: New Sop. player

The monique sax is just the right price for playing around at home for fun. I've been looking on ebay thinking about getting one myself for the same purpose. As for quality, I don't think they are comparable to the top brands (stating the obvious). What model alto and tenor do you play?

Reply To Post

1. by saxlove
      (2 posts)

19 years ago

Re: New Sop. player

Thanks for the help! I still have the alto that I learned on, which is in decent shape, but it isn't really a good horn. It's a Bundy II . I'm hoping maybe for christmas I might be able to get a new, higher level model. Probably a Yamaha or Selmer. The tenor is one of the school tenors and I don't remember the exact brand all I know is that it was a brand I'd never heard of, it was like one of those cheap ones that aren't worth squat. Really bad. It's practically falling apart. None of the school horns are any good, because the music department does not get much funding at all. But I will look and check the brand, the name has escaped me at the moment.

Reply To Post