Saxophone Forum

by deleteMe
(1 post)
19 years ago

How good will it look

Hi - i'm looking at a Keilwerth tenor sax "The New King" on ebay. I don't have very much experience with old saxes, so i'm wondering if its possible to make the laquer shine agian. On this picture, the sax is shown, and as you can see, there a lot of tiny bright spots on the lacquer. www.hier-lohnt-es-sich-bestimmt.de/November/t_0993e.jpg Can i make them disappear by cleaning it?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: How good will it look

The laquer is checked from age. Cleaning it won't help. It will only strip more of the laquer from the horn. It looks pretty good for a vintage sax. I wouldn't worry about it too much. It just shows it's age and that it's been loved and played for years. You could have it relaquered if it got too bad, but that gets expensive, and you want to really be careful who you take it to. Luke Richmond at the Windworks here in Burton, MI relaquered a Conn 10M for me about 1 1/2 years ago and did a beautiful job. It seems like it cost me around $950 to have it relaquered and repadded. You can give them a call at (810)743-5420

Reply To Post Yahoo!