Saxophone Forum

by Rudy2
(2 posts)
19 years ago

What Conn bari model is this?

Hi all, I am a newbie to the list so hope this isn't an old question. I have a Conn bari with low A. It is an old school horn, and looks it, but it plays very well and speaks easily throughout the entire range. It looks like a 12M but there is no model designation on the horn. It is bright yellow brass with wire key guards and chrome keys. The serial is N1504XX. Can anyone tell me what this horn model is, how it rates and what year it is? Thanks! Randy

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: What Conn bari model is this?

The N in the serial number indicates that it was made in 1970. This model was probably made in Mexico. It's not one of the better model Conns but they still sounded pretty good. The baritone keyed to low a was called the 13M in earlier years. I think it's basically the same horn, but I'm not really sure if they still called it a 13M that late. It saddens me to think of the Conn company after 1969. I think MacMillan should have changed the name rather than putting the good AMERICAN name of Conn on poor quality Mexican made GARBAGE!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Rudy2
      (2 posts)

19 years ago

Whoa connsaxman! The N series were made in Nogales, Arizona, not Mexico. Some parts were made in Mexico however. You are right about one thing though, it does sound pretty good. Not sure why the big adversion to this horn as I don't readily see a big difference in it. All Conn's of this era are sort of cheesily built but seem to play well as far as I have seen. Randy

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

When MacMillan aquired the Best manufacturing facility in Nogales, Arizona, they moved the production of Conn horns to Nogales in 1970. Look on a map and locate Nogales. They might as well have been made in Mexico. Mexico is only about 5 miles away! They were not made by the legendary Conn craftsmen such as the previous models.

Reply To Post Yahoo!