Saxophone Forum

by saxfortega
(9 posts)
19 years ago

New sax from the New new world

Hi I'm Gerard. I'm a 16 yr old from Aotearoa/New Zealand and I've only been playing for 3 yrs next February. However, I have achieved merits in grade 5 & 6 through Trinity College and am going for Performers Cert next year. I have also taught myself circular breathing and growling this year, but don't know how to do vibrato or a good method of learning double/triple tonguing. --A couple of questions 1-How do you do/learn vibrato/double tonguing? 2-What are some good standards for legit and jazz? ie.Take Five 3-What is a good reed brand (currently using 3 1/2 rico royal on 2nd hand store bought old but not well-worn yas-23)? 4-Who's a good tutor in NZ?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by karebear1012
    (395 posts)

19 years ago

Re: New sax from the New new world

For reed brands, i would recommend Vandoren or Helmke. Rico Jazz Select also suited me well for my first few years of playing.... lol good luck finding someone from NZ

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: New sax from the New new world

I generally use Vandoren or LaVoss. Rico Royals and Jazz selects are pretty good too. I've never tried Helmke but after looking at some of their saxes I'm not sure I'd want to. vandorens are a little pricey but hands down they're my favorite.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by saxfortega
        (9 posts)

19 years ago

Me again

You guys have been helpful and all but reeds was actually a pretty small issue, could someone answer some other questions please.

Reply To Post

1. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Me again

Harlem Nocturne is a really great jazz tune, and you can really practice your vibrato on it. And for vibrato, i was always told to just feel the music and naturally move my bottom lip back and forth (only slightly), to get the intended mood of the piece. hey, it worked for me! Good luck!

Reply To Post

2. by saxfortega
          (9 posts)

19 years ago

Yeah, I've actually got that on one of those 'play alongs,' the CD has the vibrato on it but I didn't know what it was, thanks.

Reply To Post

3. by lita22
          (2 posts)

19 years ago

Hey, just to let you know I have a degree in music ed and saxophone is my main instrument. So...when it comes to vibrato I would recommend that you learn how to do it measured. That way you can have more control over it. I would start with 60=the quarter and do one octave scales (all 12 of them) hold each note for 2+ beats. Think and move you jag to the sixthteenth pulse, so for every quarter note you say wa-wa-wa-wa. Listening to every tone and make sure that they are even. Then once you master that move up by 5 or 10 beats on your metromone (get a DR. Beat if you can if not get one that can give you the sub. of the beat). Then I would say move into doing 3 pluses per beat and do the same thing as before. This will really get you in control of it. And if you want a good book for building technique I would use Larry Teal's The Saxophonist's Workbook. And if you want more info about it let me know, [email protected]. Hope that helps.

Reply To Post