Saxophone Forum

by pedrot
(2 posts)
19 years ago

College Audition Help

Hi. . . I am an aspiring young jazz tenor player preparing for college auditions. Though I am applying for jazz performance programs (University of North Texas and University of Miami), I am still required to audition classically. Any suggustions on which piece would be easier or more fun to learn by February-- Creston Sonata or Glazunov Concerto for sax and orchestra? Also, would it be tacky to audition with a Music Minus One CD instead of an accompanist? I'm having trouble finding a piano player who wants to tackle the Creston piece. Any tips on legit sax would be appreciated as well. . . . . . gear: Yamaha Custom Z alto. . . yamaha mouthpiece that came with the horn (yeah, I know). . . reeds--not sure yet

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: College Audition Help

When stuents audition, it looks bad to try and audition with a CD. If you can't find an accompanist or one is not provided, just go alone, it can actually work to your benefit if you can do that. If you can spring for a new classical mpc, go with a Rousseau mpc, or a Rascher, both are great peices. A selmer S90 would also a good choice for you. As for music, you should pick one that is difficult to you, and has some technical passages to display your skill on it (fast runs, stacatto, the list goes on) Most college auditions allow for the playing of multiple pieces, so after you finish the pieces you do in the classical area, do a jazz piece. Generally, it will go something like this: a scale or two, the classical pieces, sight reading(very important) maybe some testing by the auditioner to make sure you arent tone deaf and can pick out a note, and then a chance to play your jazz peice. I hope all goes well for you, and good luck!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by pedrot
      (2 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks a lot definition. . .

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

19 years ago

No problem!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by mintyfreshjam
          (48 posts)

19 years ago

If your planning on auditioning for UNT, you're going to have to tape your jazz audition and show up for your classical one in person. They will provide a piano player if you can't bring one, but you don't really need one if you don't want one. Just remember that there is a deadline for the tape to be mailed with your jazz audition.

Reply To Post

2. by ashishkumarji
        (1 post)

3 years ago

Dear, i am a professional trainer in this field if you want any type of help, will happy to help you.

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
          (644 posts)

3 years ago

This is a 16 year old post.

If you want to advertise that you are a professional trainer, maybe start a new thread.

Weird....

Reply To Post