Saxophone Forum

by azn_seagull02
(26 posts)
19 years ago

i need some quick help on a 1929 buescher PLZ HELP!!!

im thinking about buying a 1929 buescher on ebay and not sure if its exactly what i was hoping it is. i was wondering how much this sax really is worth because the seller told me it was worth much less than i expected. i was wondering how the tone and response would also be for a sax like this. i need a response fast because its ending saturday. PLZ HELP

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by lake4wa
    (13 posts)

19 years ago

Re: i need some quick help on a 1929 buescher PLZ HELP!!!

Didf you buy it, how much did it go for??

Reply To Post

2. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

1) what is the link to the auction 2) what is the current price 3) is it an aristocrat or a true tone?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by azn_seagull02
      (26 posts)

19 years ago

ok im not in that much of a hurry. i found a couple for a couple hundred dollars. im trying to get a tru-tone right now. i was wondering how a typical tru-tone sounds and responds. i was also wondering how much they are worth so i know how much to bid on them

Reply To Post

1. by azn_seagull02
        (26 posts)

19 years ago

i was also wondering what a gold wash is on the logo. does it make the sax worth less and why do they do godl washes?

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Buescher True Tones were a good sax. They're very similar to the Conn New Wonder series I horns. Actually I think the Buescher True Tone is a better horn than the Conn Series I. True Tones were made from about 1895-1930 if you can get the serial number of the instrument, you can check it with this list of serial numbers to determine approximately when it was manufactured. members.aol.com/fly1jet/numbers.html The gold wash was something they did to contrast the silver finish. Most silver plated horns had gold-washed bells. When cleaned and polished, these horns really shine and look very cool!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by azn_seagull02
        (26 posts)

19 years ago

thanks alot. that helped

Reply To Post

3. by azn_seagull02
        (26 posts)

19 years ago

since the sax im trying to get will most likely have some spots, is there a way to get the spots off? they are usually a blackish color and they occur in the silver plating.

Reply To Post

1. by azn_seagull02
          (26 posts)

19 years ago

I NEED THE HELP ON THE SPOTS SOON PLZ IF ANYONE AT ALL KNOWS ABOUT THE SPOT PROBLEM PLZ RESPOND!!!!!!!!!

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I'm assuming this horn is silver plated? Tarn X works wonders on silver. You can buy it at Walmart or most stores for around $5 a bottle. You'll want to remove the keys first. Then pour enough Tarn X in a cup that you can dip a small paint brush or a tooth brush in it in it. I use a tooth brush for most of the body, but a paint brush is nice to get in around the tone holes and the posts. You'll be surprised how quickly it will remove the tarnish....in a matter of seconds. After the tarnish is gone you'll want to rinse the horn really good in hot water. This is why I recommend removing the keys first. The water will ruin the pads. I suppose if you intend to replace the pads anywat, it's not a big deal, but it's much easier to clean the body without the keys. After rinsing the horn and drying it off with a towel, use Wrights Silver Cream to polish it. Use it sparingly. I also use Wrights to polish the keys. Buff off the polish with a rag. If you use too much polish you may need to rinse the horn again. Just dry it and buff it with a rag after rinsing. It will clean up nicely. I'll be happy to send you some pictures of a couple I've restored. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by azn_seagull02
              (26 posts)

19 years ago

i heard that tarn-x is abrasive and can damaga the plating. is that true?

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Not at all. Tarn X is an acid cleaner. That's why you want to make sure you rinse it really good. I've cleaned several horns with Tarn X. It's made for cleaning silver and silver plate.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by azn_seagull02
              (26 posts)

19 years ago

well im not realli good with taking saxes apart and then putting them back together. is there something else that i could use that wouldnt require me taking all the keys off?

Reply To Post

4. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Well there's really nothing that you can use that you're not going to have to rinse off, and removing the keys makes it a lot easier to get into some of the places that are nearly impossible with the keys on. How are the pads? If the pads need changing, you can try the Tarn X with a paint brush and try to get in under the keys and just rinse it off. If the pads are new or very good, I would recommend doing this. If you're planning to have the sax repadded, just tell the tech that you would like to take the body home and clean it up before he puts it back together, and ask him if he would mind if you did so. Maybe they would even clean it up at a reasonable price.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

5. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Sorry. I mean if the pads are new or really good I would NOT recommend the Tarn X, or rinsing the horn. Water will damage the pads

Reply To Post Yahoo!

6. by definition
              (963 posts)

19 years ago

use a q-tip

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

7. by azn_seagull02
              (26 posts)

19 years ago

thanks for the replies. ill see what i can do. ill try and get it taken apart

Reply To Post

8. by saxismyaxe
              (575 posts)

19 years ago

For the person looking for a totaly non abrasive Silver cleaner/polish, I recommend HAGERTYS Polish. It is available in most jewelry and kitchen/chef supply stores. It does a great job, and has NO abrasives. Tarn X is great for stripping long term tarnish and gunk off of a horn, but repeated use CAN (Not an absolute) strip the silver off over time. This is less of a problem with their newer formulas, but was definitely the case years ago.

Reply To Post

9. by azn_seagull02
              (26 posts)

19 years ago

yea i found that somewhere saying that it was good. i put the companies site on my favorites list and forgot how it got there. i was wondering if it realli worked but since another person said that it did then i guess it does. thanks saxismyaxe!!

Reply To Post