Saxophone Forum

by Sax on my mind 99
(5 posts)
19 years ago

Martin Handcrafted Tenor Sax's

I have heard that handcafted saxs are good but are they worth 1200 to 1300 and are they better than the price they are given. Are they even professionals, please help me I need some help. If you have any other advice on these saxs please write. Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Martin Handcrafted Tenor Sax's

Martin Handcraft horns are excellent players, and indeed they are professional horns of their day (pre 1945 introduction of The Martin Committee models that replaced the line as a pro model). They have a lush, dark, smooth tone and quite nice keywork. Some Martin fans prefer the Handcraft models to the Martin Committee's (I'm not among them, however. I like the Committees a bit more). Martins currently are demanding prices just a bit less than say a Conn 10M/30M, King Super 20, Buescher Top Hat and Cane 400 etc. but are on the rise as more and more collectors realize their value. You didn't mention the year the horn in question was made, it's condition etc which will impact the value.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Martin Handcrafted Tenor Sax's

If you would like to look into this further, you might swing over to: www.themartinstory.net. This is a Dutch owned site dedicated to Martin Saxophones. Although the Text portions contain a number of errors, the pictorial sections will give you and idea of the various models Martin produced, as well as a timeline. Another good photo site to visit is: www.saxpics.com which covers most of the major sax manufacturers.

Reply To Post