Saxophone Forum

by diminishedpower
(25 posts)
19 years ago

help identifing a conn tenor

Theres a guy selling a conn that lives like 2 hours away for 500 and i was wondering if you guys could help figure out waht it is from what he told me, so i can decide if i will drive and check it out. he siad it says cg conn limited, elkhart, indiana. with a serial of 89789. (1922 i think) with orginal lacour and new pads. Can anyone put a name to this horn?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: help identifing a conn tenor

That should be a Conn New wonder "Series 1", a pre Chu Berry horn. In good condition, it is worth the 500 dollars. Here is a link to more info on the horn. www.saxpics.com/conn/new_wonder1.htm

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by diminishedpower
      (25 posts)

19 years ago

thank you for the help. now has anyone had any experience with them. i'm looking for an upgrade from my student yamaha. I play lead tenor in jazz band for my school and i think its sad i'm using a beginner

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

If you're looking to upgrade your Yamaha, I think you might do better to look for a 10M or a New Wonder Series II (Chu Berry). The Series I horns have a nice sound, but the key work is a little more cumbersome and they're very tempermental.....kind of like an old lady. They're neat old horns and fun to play, but probably not the horn you're looking for

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

It is in fact a 1922 New wonder series I. I know this horn well. I would imagine it's silver plated. Most of them were. The sterling silver plate usually cleans up nice. The tenors had pretty good intonation, This sax has the rolled tone holes. I have a couple of these old New Wonder series horns and they're neat old horns. If it's in good shape and plays decent, $500 is a great buy. These saxophones don't usually demand the kind of money you would get for a New Wonder Series II (Chu Berry) or an earlier (pre 1948) 10M, but a New Wonder series I in good condition is still worth $1000-$1200

Reply To Post Yahoo!