Saxophone Forum

by kschessl
(1 post)
8 years ago

glory alto sax

The parent of one of my high school students purchased a Glory alto sax. I can not find any information about them (who made it, where it was made, etc...). I seems to play in tune but the upper register (above "C") is very sharp. I am looking for any information available on this brand.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxlover70
    (14 posts)

8 years ago

Re: glory alto sax

It's a cheap alto sold on Amazon for around 300 or so brand new. Basically a Chinese made saxophone, something I initially wanted to buy, but I seen on the comments they usually break in some way in a year or so with constant playing. I never played them, that's just what I heard about them. Oh and I also know that most sax repair stores don't repair them since the metal is thin.

Reply To Post

2. by warrenjones
    (1 post)

8 years ago

Re: glory alto sax

It's a good buy.  I have an Antigua that I love and recently purchased a Glory Alto "Professional" ...  $179 on Amazon. 

Dump the plastic that comes with it and spend another $150+ on a good mouthpiece, reeds, strap, case.  For $330 you'll get a beautiful instrument machined well that plays SCARILY like a $1,400 intermediate / low-end pro sax. 

For good or bad, it seems just about every sax under $1K is made in China ... $1K - $5K in Taiwan.  The machining tools, parts, assembly seem to be improving everywhere ... Taiwan instruments like my Antigua are pro level ... Chinese shops like that making Glory are pumping out good student models and decent clones of intermediate-level instruments for almost nothing.

Reply To Post