Saxophone Forum

by wazawaza
(3 posts)
19 years ago

replacement case for 1956 conn 10M?

Hi all, i was looking for a suggestion for a replacement case for my 10M. When i got it, it came in a Yamaha case, but the guy said i'll probably need to replace it. Any comments are appreciated. thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

19 years ago

Re: replacement case for 1956 conn 10M?

BAM, SKB, Reunion Blues, Gator, any many other current manufacturers all make hard and gig bag cases that will fit a 10M very well. Take a look at WWBW, Junkdude, Musician's Friend, etc. for the availble cases and prices. They aren't hard to find, it would mainly depend on how much protection you think you need, and how much you are willing to pay for it. Cheers.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

i bought a rectangular SKB case for my 10M and it fits it perfectly. Nice case! very plush and well constructed. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by FredCDobbs
    (77 posts)

19 years ago

I have a ProTec Contour that my 10M sits nicely in. Not too much room in the case for anything else but a mpc and the neck, but there are two large side pockets. It gives good protection, is pretty rugged, and is reasonably priced. Only complaint: when you lay it down and open it wide, the weight of the lid tips the whole thing backwards. The horn stays put, but it's a pain.

Reply To Post

4. by wazawaza
    (3 posts)

19 years ago

thanks for all the replies. now that i have an idea, it's time to go shopping!

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I would definately recommend a hard case for a 10M. The bracing that supports the bell is not very strong on a 10M, and can break easily. The hard cases offer considerably more protection. A friend of mine had a 1956 Selmer Mk VI in a protect case. He was loading his equipment into the back of a friend's truck after a gig, and I guess he set the sax down behind the truck while his friend loaded some other equipment. The friend finished loading everything but the sax, which he apparently didn't see, and asked Nate to take one last look to make sure they had grabbed everything. He went to back the truck up to the door and ran over Nate's tenor! It's at the Wind Works right now and Luke's going to try to restore it, but it's in really bad shape! I think if he had kept it in a hard case like my SKB, it might still be ok, or at least, it wouldn't have been flattened like it was!

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by FredCDobbs
        (77 posts)

19 years ago

Jim: I work around full size buses. I probably need a titanium case. How in the world do you restore a horn that's been flattened by a truck? And once restored, how can it ever sound the same? Wouldn't all that stretching and reworking of the metal permanently alter it's tone? By the way, I've wondered why Conn skimped on that bracing, especially when the rest of the horn is made so solidly. It's the first thing I noticed when I got it. And it's a pretty easy thing to engineer. Any idea?

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: flattened Selmer Mk VI

I couldn't believe it when I seen it. My first thoughts were....how could you be so careless? and looking at the horn I wouldn't have even wanted to try to salvage it. If anyone can save it, Luke can. I'll see if I can get some pictures of it. Luke says that he can re-shape the body. Some of the keys are going to need to be replaced, but Luke's going to see what he can do. I know this Mk VI has some sentimental value to Nate. Normally, the repair would probably cost more than the horn is worth, but Nate's a good friend and Luke loves a challenge, so we'll just have to see how it turns out! I really don't know why Conn skimped on the bracing. The horn is built very solid with the acception of this support. Maybe they felt this support was adequate, or they felt that extra material might compromise the sound. I really don't know. This is definately one of the 10M's weaknesses Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!