Saxophone Forum

by snowsax
(11 posts)
19 years ago

advice on conn, or any

can anybody advise me - picking up the sax after years of not playing, and looking for a reasonably-priced horn so I can fall in love again - found this one on line - any feedback would be great www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=1130349 thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by snowsax
    (11 posts)

19 years ago

another conn...any thoughts?

www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=1136842 anybody who could help steer me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Reply To Post

1. by snowsax
      (11 posts)

19 years ago

opinions on "monique"?

have also located a "monique" - never heard of them, anybody else? (and again, I truly appreciate any feedback, as I can see I know nothing compared to some of you on this site) thanks again

Reply To Post

1. by snowsax
        (11 posts)

19 years ago

how about "selmer bundy II"?

Is this a selmer, a bundy, or one made by the other....? (hope I'm not being a total idiotic pest here)

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
      (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: another conn...any thoughts?

The first horn, the 16M tenor is a very nice saxophone. Although not as valuable as some of Conn's other models, they are a US made horn with a very nice sound. This sax is worth $500 easily. The 20M alto is a later model Conn made in Mexico. The quality of the Mexican made Conns is not nearly as good as those made here in the US, by skilled craftsmen. I would definately go for the 16M tenor and pass on the 20M alto

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by snowsax
        (11 posts)

19 years ago

thanks, connnsaxman_jim

hey man, thanks a lot for the advice - any thoughts on the selmer bundy II? is this a selmer, or a bundy?, any idea about the tone? cheers

Reply To Post

1. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

Re: thanks, connnsaxman_jim

The Bundy II is a student horn that i recomend mainly fer the young beginners because they are tanks and easily tuned. But once you can develop your tone past being a beginner, they sound best un over by a truck. Buy it only if you need a beater to use for marching band. As for the Monique, I have a new one and am quite impressed with it. You will hear lots of badreveiws based on the first ones to come out, but the quality is quite different and better on the new ones, making them worth another look.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I'm not a big fan of Bundy horns. They are fairly well made for an inexpensive horn, but as definition said, they sound best when being run over by a truck! The Conn 16M is probably one of the best tenors to start out on. They're a very solid, well built horn with good intonation and they play very well. The Conn 6M alto is hands down my favorite for a beginner. These horns have the underslung octive key (placed on the bottom of the neck) which helps protect the key from being damaged. They're a very solid built horn. As for the Monique, they're better than some of the imported Asian made saxophones that I've seen, but they are definately a beginner model. I recently played a Monique soprano, and I thought that it played well for an inexpensive horn. In the same price range, I'd consider an EM Winston over a Monique.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by snowsax
          (11 posts)

19 years ago

Conn advice?

any advice on this horn I found on eBay? cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3769865377&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT I understand that I'm taking a risk goin on line, but having trouble finding a horn in my area (SF) that I can afford, that is not a piece of junk. Any advice re: mimimizing risk of on-line purchase (this seller seems to have a good record...for what that's worth). thanks again

Reply To Post

4. by snowsax
          (11 posts)

19 years ago

any thoughts on this selmer?

hey everybody - here's another horn that looks like it might be in pretty good shape - any thoughts? thanks again, and hope I'm not being a "sax-pest", but very happy to have found this site...

Reply To Post

5. by snowsax
          (11 posts)

19 years ago

Re: any thoughts on this selmer - with the link this time(!)

Reply To Post

6. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: any thoughts on this selmer - with the link this time(!)

Nice student model Selmer.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

7. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Conn advice?

The serial number indicates that it was made in 1970, not 1980. This sax was most likely manufactured in Nogales, Arizona. I generally shy away from Conns made after 1968. This one appears to be in good condition and might make a decent begginer instrument, but the Nogales horns are only slightly better than those made in Mexico.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

8. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

btw, I OWN a bondy II, and I think it sounds best run over by a truck...

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM