Saxophone Forum

by NFeder
(1 post)
19 years ago

Mark VI Laquer

I'm interested in buying a Teror Mark VI between 55,XXX and 75,XXX serial number. I've found a couple varying in price and have played them. My questions about the laquer. Does worn laquer effect the tone of the horn? I found one for a good price but the laquer is very worn. What effect would this have on the horns tone and overall feel? should it have any or is it just appearance? Thanks for all of your help

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Mark VI Laquer

as far as I can tell, none. Laquer is a fraction of a millimeter thick coating meant to retard the oxidation of the base metal. I am of an opinion that base-metal density can effect tone slightly, but certainly not a fancy nail polish-like coating on the outside.

Reply To Post

2. by spottspidermunki
    (55 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Mark VI Laquer

man ur a lucky guy to be in a position where u've played and are able to choose between several 5-digit mark vi's. i wouldn't think worn lacquer would make much of a difference. i believe it is just appearance. so, to my point, i wouldn't worry about lacquer wear. i'd jus play them and pick the best horn for you. ur a lucky guy, with some good choices. have fun!! ( i wish i were in ur situation ;) ) Joel

Reply To Post AIM