Saxophone Forum

by Axman
(4 posts)
19 years ago

Vintage Selmer Tenor scam

wanted to alert everyone, there was a recent scam on ebay involving the listing of a 1940's Selmer Tenor. Not sure whether you can access this link: cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16234&item=3770391995&rd=1 It all began when a guy advertised a selmer tenor for sale, starting bid at $1000. The transaction ended around Dec 20 with no bids. I thought it was unusual that no images were posted, but I wrote him anyway to see what happen....he wrote me back under the email address [email protected] indicating he was from Spain and wanted to sell this vintage Tenor for $1000, if I wired him money ,etc.... I immediately thought it was suspicious and began asking all sorts of questions about the horn, etc..... When he sent me the images, I saw the ebay logo at bottom right and immediately suspected he had saved these images from another transaction (easy to do) and pose as his horn for sale. I then began searching selmer tenor transactions from the past month, and found that the horn had been sold out of the UK earlier this month for around $3500. Here's the link for that one which shows the details and images.. I'm posting in case he has contacted others (posing as Carlos, with the above yahoo address, offering to sell the horn for $1000 out of spain). It's a scam.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Axman
    (4 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Vintage Selmer Tenor scam

I see the original sax sale on ebay link didn't come through on my first post. If you compare the two listings, you see the same description, the bogus ad has no images. cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=620&item=3766566594&rd=1

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for the heads up Axman. This sort of thing has been on the uprise across the board for Ebay of late, but has really stepped up in numbers in the Saxophone listings in the last 6 months or so. Ebay is going to have to take a long, hard look at the way they do business before I will deal with them again.

Reply To Post

1. by saxaddict
        (1 post)

19 years ago

I received several emails from scammers posing as ebay congratulating me to have "won" as the second highest bidder on Selmer saxophones that I bid and did not win. The story was that the original winning bid did not go thru for various reasons etc. The sender's email was different from original sellers and asked me to send m.o. for several grands to England or Europe. As someone who has been burnt by a broken Yanagisawa bought thru ebay (still waiting for my money back after returning the junk to seller) I am beginning to think ebay is the last place to buy an expensive item let alone a vintage Selmer. Ebay warns that it offers no protection for m.o. or Westernunion transactions anyway. Beware, be very very aware.

Reply To Post

1. by s9ast
          (8 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Vintage Selmer Tenor scam - still going on

There were two separate Mark VI baris on eBay yesterday - looks to be the same type of deal. Both out of "UK" - bidding history is blocked out; single bad photo, and when I asked for more photos, got back responses (from two different "sellers") offering to sell them to me at the then-bid price. (and one said something about the horm being in Spain) All big clues that this was a scam. I also got two of those "you're the second highest bidder and first one fell through" scam/come-ons on a bid on a bari last month. I contacted the original seller, and was told that he had, in fact, sold it to the high bidder.

Reply To Post