Saxophone Forum

by saxman0317
(53 posts)
19 years ago

Berkly Jazz Fest 2004

Any one out there going to the high school jazz comp. at Berkly this year?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by karebear1012
    (395 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Berkly Jazz Fest 2004

hey, i was reading ur pro....cant break a nail types??? lol what is the world of girls coming to?!? ur talking about Berkley in Boston right? I'm not going to the jazz comp., but my trumpet teacher took me there for the winds workshop day. It was so much fun! I dont really want to GO to berkley, but i definately liked it a lot. While you're there, see if you can stop by Rayburns' Music. It's a really nice store - lots of people in and out all the time. When I went, I ended up meeting a lot of realy good players who helped me choose good horns to consider. So are you like lead tenor or something in your jazz band? I play lead alto in mine...but sometimes it sorta sux because i'm one of only 2 girls there..and a freshman... so if i make a mistake it seems bigger to everyone else... then in concert band i'm 1st trumpet, which is pretty cool too. what type of sax dyou have? i've got like the cheapest one you could find - beginner alpine alto. I've got pretty good mouthpiece (selmer c* and meyer 6), and vandoren reeds. we're looking for a new one tho cuz itz not too cool when your alto player in jazz band squeaks lol. i'm lookin into a Keilwerth SX-90 or SX-90R in silver. well ttyl Kara

Reply To Post

1. by Hexaclon
      (90 posts)

19 years ago

Hey Kara, I was wondering if you could instruct me about some music stores in Boston. I won a scholarship to go to the Five week performance program at Berklee and I'm planing to go this summer. Its kinda gonna be a unique and fun experience since I'm going alone and I have never gone to MA. Thanx -Hex-

Reply To Post AIM

1. by karebear1012
        (395 posts)

19 years ago

Wow, thatz awesome you got the scholarship! Something I really want some day... But anyway..while you're in Boston, definately check out Rayburn's music. It's a small shop, but it's jam packed with instruments. I'm not sure exactly where it is now because they just moved, but it's somewhere right near berklee (you could probably find the address online). Also, there are TONS of music stores right at Berklee, including the Berklee Press (i think), which has tons of music books for all instruments. There's a piano store too, if that matters to you. All along the streets you'll find various music stores, which are all awesome. Also, be sure to check out Symphony Hall (right in the area). That's where the Boston Symphony Orchestra (BSO) plays, and it's an amazing hall. I'm not really sure what else there is, but I do know that it's all pretty much walking distance from Berklee, so you'll be all set. Good luck! Kara

Reply To Post

1. by martysax
          (148 posts)

19 years ago

Yes, Rayburns moved across the street to 238 Huntington St. I haven't been to the new place yet. Boston used to have tons of music stores near the Boston Common, but they've been gone for years. If you're over 21, visit Wally's Cafe at Mass and Columbus. Great Jazz joint, one of the last in Boston. Just don't get the bartender mad at you! Order a drink immediately! Be careful, we're still crazy hear in Bahsten

Reply To Post

2. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

yeah...havent been to the new place yet either... there are tons of music stores in boston though - be sure to check em out!

Reply To Post