Saxophone Forum

by Mercury
(1 post)
19 years ago

Intermediate Sax for a 7th Grader

I'm shopping for a new intermediate sax for my 7th grade son. He's been playing a Conn 21M for about 3 years, and has shown the desire, continued improvement, and care for the instrument that convinced me to drop somewhere in the $1500 ballpark for a new horn. We have played a Selmer AS210, Yamaha YAS-475, Yamaha YAS-575 Allegro, and a Cannonball Excalibur A96L. Right now, I'm leaning toward one of the Yamahas, but I'm interested in your opinions.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Intermediate Sax for a 7th Grader

I would definately recommend the Yamaha and recommend against the Cannonball. The Selmer AS500 and AS300 are nice. I'm not too familiar with the AS210. Have you looked at the Keilwerth horns?

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by tenor562
      (297 posts)

19 years ago

If you do choose toward one of the Yamahas, i'd go for the Allegro. It has the G1 neck and the Mark 2 body, it's basically a 62II without an annhealed bell.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

19 years ago

way back in the day I had a yas-23 and later played on a 21m. There was a night and day difference between the two. The yahama seemed better in just about every area. (and that wasn't even a nice one... )

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by definition
          (963 posts)

19 years ago

If you get a Cannonball, get a new one, the old Excallibur and Knight series horns were not the best. However, the newer horns(Big bell global series) are Fantastics horns. I play the bari. I have a Student on the alto, and its a nice little horn. The other recomendations you have here are great too.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by YanagisawA-901
        (312 posts)

19 years ago

not that i have much to offer in the field of knowledge on horns.. and im an annoying 16 year old that thinks he knows a lot... but id either go for kielwerth ex-90 or the yamahas as well.. i have a yani 901 but somtimes question the purchase, but the horn doesnt make you sound and play good..your make the horn sound and play good.. the yamahas that i tested were very even and easy to blow through, he should grow very well with that..

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by phathorn
          (165 posts)

19 years ago

Heck, the 901 is a good horn...just because it isn't the lastest and greatest doesn't mean it isn't good....

Reply To Post

1. by definition
            (963 posts)

19 years ago

Phathorn is right on there, why do you think people will stand by their vintage horns?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by eman19
              (131 posts)

19 years ago

Hell yeah. I'll pit my Martin Comm II against any other alto out there. I love the way that baby can scream

Reply To Post