Saxophone Forum

by eman19
(131 posts)
19 years ago

Transcribing is fun!

I just got done doing Lester Youngs solo from lady be good (1939). God that was fun. I have to start transcribing some more tunes. Anyone else have a thought on the subject?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by altosax
    (19 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Transcribing is fun!

I think it's great too. I transcribed poul desmond's solo in "take five", I would like to do some more tunes when I have more time.

Reply To Post

1. by Spike
      (248 posts)

19 years ago

transcribing is possibly the best practice for jazz! it trains your ear, taches you changes(to some extent^_^) and gives you lots of ideas to play in your own solos. i just got done with miles solo off autumn leaves, as well as a bit of cannonball's solo(quite a bit harder, hehe) i'll probably move on to lester leaps in, then something more modern.

Reply To Post

1. by eman19
        (131 posts)

19 years ago

Lester leaps in is a fun one. My big band played prez's solo for one of our transcriptions. Good times and a lot of fun. The only solo I didn't like was parkers mood, more because I couldn't play rather than it was bad. Rocking solo, but good lord I've got to practice more.

Reply To Post

2. by kneejerk52
      (397 posts)

19 years ago

why don't you honor the passing of Artie Shaw with doing something of his

Reply To Post

3. by YanagisawA-901
      (312 posts)

19 years ago

this might be a stupid question, but then again in my mind no question is stupid... what exactly is transcribing?? i know its listening to a song and learning how to play it by ear? but how exactly do u guys go about doing it?? cuz i wanna start doing that a bit but am at loss for how to approach it..

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by eman19
        (131 posts)

19 years ago

Well I go about transcribing a song by listening it for a few times so that I have the melody of the song in my head and the solo that guy is playing. I also generally like to have a lead sheet for the song, so I can see what the basic melody is on paper, and what key the piece is in. Then I grab the instrument that I'm going to use (Either Guitar, tenor or alto sax) and try to play the solo the other guy is playing at the same time. Start with simpler solos and move on up to harder ones. Go for a song that moves you, and keep on at it until you get the solo. Some times it can take days or even weeks, and other times you can get a solo after a couple of listens and trys. Have fun with it most of all.

Reply To Post

1. by wvujazzman
          (48 posts)

19 years ago

There's also a neat little piece of software that can help with transcribing. It's called Transkriber, and it's available at reedkotlermusic.com for $50. I've used it occasionally through the years when transcribing a particularly challenging piece. It works by allowing you to slow down the sone without changing the key. Really kinda slick! Eric

Reply To Post