Saxophone Forum

by cadlights
(4 posts)
19 years ago

Need an ID and info on my old sax.

Hi, my name is Keith. I started playing an Alto sax in 1957. It was a King my folks bought for me to play in Junior high school. Later after High school I had my own band called the Blue Notes. That King was a great instrument and I had it a long time. When I was about 19 a good friend of my father named Ray Millard, a well known sax player and band leader in the Ogden Utah area gave me an old sax he had laying around. It is a Harwood Professional, made by J.W.J.S.M.CO serial # 24806. After I sold the King my daughter and I played the Harwood for several years till the octave lever broke. I fixed it several times but it just wasn't right so i put it away about 20 years ago. I am now getting ready to retire and need to sell some stuff off. I would like to know what it is worth. It is in pretty rough shape and probably needs a total rebuild. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks keith.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Need an ID and info on my old sax.

Keith, I think your best bet might be to put the horn on Ebay and see what it will bring. Harwood is one of those brands that most people have probably never heard of. I know that Buescher made horns for Harwood. I've never heard of J.W.J.S.M. CO, but back in the 1920's, EVERYBODY wanted to play saxophone, so many sellers, music stores, and manufacturers of other musical instruments contracted companies like Conn and Buescher to make saxophones for them. A few designed and built their own saxophones. I would guess that this saxophone was built sometime between 1917-1929. As for value, I would think that it would be worth at least $100 as a parts horn, and maybe as much as $400. The value really depends on the condition of the sax, and how many buyers want it. Best of luck with your retirement and Happy New Year! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by cadlights
      (4 posts)

19 years ago

Thank you very much Jim, that helps me decide what to do. I would still like to know who made this sax. If anybody knows what J.W.J. SM.CO means I would appreciatte your input. Thanks again Jim. Keith.

Reply To Post

2. by Mo
    (2 posts)

19 years ago

Keith, I have a clarinet from them and I know they had other instruments. Best I can make out at this point is that it and probably your sax was made by Buescher, they made a Harwood Professional Model sax. It is the same with most musical insturments of that time period. The Music Companies made them and put the stores name on them. I believe J.W.J.S.M. Co. was out of Chicago. If I find more info on them I'll let you know. Dave

Reply To Post

1. by cadlights
      (4 posts)

19 years ago

Thank you Dave. That helps me a lot. Keith.

Reply To Post

1. by Mo
        (2 posts)

19 years ago

Reply To Post

1. by cadlights
          (4 posts)

19 years ago

Thank you very much for the info Dave. I'm learning more all the time. Thanks again Keith.

Reply To Post