Saxophone Forum

by PIP
(29 posts)
19 years ago

Leadership woes

Hi! I am currently a sophomore in high school and have been told that I will most likely take over as section leader this next marching season for all of the saxophones. The problem with this is that when everyone heard this they all moaned in disagreement. You see, everyone in the saxophone section is unbelivably lazy. We have had a section leader for the past 2 years who hasn't cared enough to push the section at all. For instance most of the time during sectionals when all of the other sections are working, he would let the entire section sit under the trees. I am extremely worried about this next year because this will be a section of possibly 15 saxes, the largest in the band, who have been used to this other person's style. I on the other hand want to push this section to be better. The other part of the equation is that, because of my ability, I have experienced an awful lot of jealousy since I started my band career. The gap between me and my 2nd chair alto is huge and yet he takes every opportunity to cut me down and tell the section that I am unfit to lead. Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mooing_sheep
    (20 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Leadership woes

Challenge them to a duel! Or, just be assertive and let them get used to it. Otherwise, the saxes won't go anywhere, and that would be a shame. Hopefully you got the drum major on your side. Good luck and have fun!!!!!! :o)

Reply To Post

1. by eman19
      (131 posts)

19 years ago

If they complain, tell them to suck it up, (courtesy of my physics teacher) or get out. If they truly have no inspiration to play the instrument, let them know that you will make the band leader aware of their recalcitrance, and if it gets out of control, bring in the big gun (the band teacher) to straighten them out

Reply To Post

1. by bariguy
        (25 posts)

19 years ago

Man i know what you are talkin about. This year i lead a sax section of 21. Also largest section in the band, amnd they had some lack of respect and willingness to work. I agree...you should just tell them to suck it up and continue on with your work. Also it help to have the drum major there and aware of your problems. You could ask him to sit in on a sectional to make sure things are gettin done properly. Good luck.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

19 years ago

ok... I've read though most of your replys and so far none will really work. sure you could say "suck it up" and push them harder, but that won't get you any respect or more work out of them. You want to motavate them, not pretend it's boot camp or something. one of the ways I can think of at the moment is call a big meeting right away when you first take over. In that meeting discuss any problems people are having, where THEY want to go, and what you can do to help them acheave that. Don't be overly pushy, or set goals way way too high. Also don't be like a ass and just take total control over them. That won't get you anywhere. also remeber this... a good leader takes all the responsibilty and NONE of the credit! You're only helping the group excel, not helping yourself. Remeber that! also, don't take anything personally, (unless it's personal) it's not your fault if they don't pratice at home, it's theirs. Finally... someone brought up having the drum major around and stuff and letting them know of your problems. I would take that one step further. why not let the sax section know of your problems? why not just tell them, (in that first meeting) I would like to acheave this... this... and this... and it will mean working a little harder and not fluffing off as much. I've found that being up front and honest is the best way.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

------------------------------------------------------------------------ The gap between me and my 2nd chair alto is huge and yet he takes every opportunity to cut me down and tell the section that I am unfit to lead. Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this? ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ there's not much you can do about behind-the-back statements. You probably need to talk to your director about this sort of thing to find out how he/she will back you up. A section meeting is a good idea,, but perhaps see if the director will attend the first one as a silent observer. The Director's presense should reinforce the legitimacy of your leadership and quiet the discord. Make notes ahead of time of issues to bring up at the meeting, but don't single out anyone for anything. Do bring up the point that you intend to work them no less than the other sections are working

Reply To Post

3. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

19 years ago

challenge them to a duel, no really i mean your the leader, it sucks that u have to do it as a junior i did too or am altho i had to work with like a few kids but o man this one f bomb geez just challenge them if this kid is so far behind you as you say just tell him to put up or shut up also scare all the freshman into following you

Reply To Post

4. by Dirty_Reggae
          (55 posts)

19 years ago

I agree with Chiamac on this one. Talk to them and become friends with them. If your gonna be an ass they'll treat you like an ass. The same thing happened to the trumpet section of my band. The new leader was a young gifted girl who was put down by her entire section, so she got to know them all better and made friends with all of them. Now they're all doin fine. I think everyone needs to like you and agree if your going to push them further.

Reply To Post

5. by mooing_sheep
          (20 posts)

19 years ago

You should offer them a chance to find burried treasure, and doodle a map on some graph paper. They have to earn it by marhcing and playing well. That'll learn 'em.

Reply To Post