Saxophone Forum

by something sax orented
(5 posts)
19 years ago

i want to know if there is a website where i can view ligitures

i am a 12 year old kid and i want to know how important it is to have a good ligiture and also where you can look at them on the web

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Re: i want to know if there is a website where i can view ligitures

check out www.wwbw.com. They sell a wide variety of differnt ligatures and have pics and descriptions of the different ligs that they sell.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by tsax_player
    (76 posts)

19 years ago

Re: i want to know if there is a website where i can view ligitures

Hey I think it is great that you are interested in equipment at your age. Remember not to get to caught up in the hipe! As far as a web page is concerned connsaxman is right on with wwbw. The purpose of the ligature is to hold and center the reed allowing it to vibrate freely. The problem with the basic lig is that they bend real easy and will start applying presure unevenly around the mouthpiece, also the screws sometimes will not tighten as they should. The ligature will effect your timbre. It really depends on what you want to sound like. For my jazz set-up I play a Francios Louis lig, this is a metal lig that applies even preasure all the way around and gives a little more edge(kind of expensive). For my classical set-up (and yes you need to be doing both!!) I play a Rovner which is a leather-like material and gives a darker tone for a good classical sound. My advice is to look around and try different set-ups. Also listen to sax players you like and find out what they are playing on. Don't worry to much, it is important but right now focus on technique and devlopeing your sound. Have fun, keep playing and practicing!!!

Reply To Post