Saxophone Forum

by YanagisawA-901
(312 posts)
19 years ago

Transcribing?? Solos?? Fun??

ok, theres like 2 songs i can think of off the top of my head that i absolutely love, like i cant get enough of em.. and im tryna learn how to play em but i cant quite get it.. i know i posted somthin like this in another post but i figured id touch on it more in depth... thers this song have a little faith in me by a band i know.. the whole song is a sax solo but the only problem is its tenor so the key might be different.. ??? how do u go about transcribing the whole thing especially when its 4 minutes of sax on tenor instead of alto?? i know i can still get the same pitches tho... how do u guys go about stuff like that?? i love the song, and i almost have the Head learned but i wanna learn the whole thing.. any tips?? ideas?? thoughts?? how do u get the key?? just process of elimination and guessing?? any help guys?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Hexaclon
    (90 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Transcribing?? Solos?? Fun??

Hey man... 1st of all, you have to make sure that the song or/and solo you are going to transcribe is apropiate for your level. Sometimes people want to star in bigger steps than they can handle. When I started to transcribe I tried to transcribe Michael Breker's version of "El NiƱo"....I dint get pass from the bass line!! It was too mutch for me, I couldnt and cant handle Breker. Start of with simpe melodys then go to dificult stuff. 2nd About finding the key.. Well this is kinda hard to explain...when I try to find the key ...I dont know, I just hear the tonic. I hear the tonic in my head and look for it in my instrument. Or you can transcribe the hole song and then get the key you are in acording to the axidents. Allot of songs end on the tonic. 3rd About the length... Just take it by part, its not like you hear the hole solo and then figure it out. Take the first five seconds or so, then play it back and fourth until you can sing it that five second part. Then its a matter of making the exact same sound on your instrument. 4th Exercises and tips This might sound funny but...sometime when im bored and tired of practecing. I watch tv with my horn, and I just try to figure out everything that i hear in the comercials or in the tv shows.. its really fun and its a really good exersice. Also try to figure out melodys that you have in your head... things youve heard allot... things like twinklw twinkle little star, try to figure that out without hearing it. another thing.. you have to hear the music! The more times you hear the song, the better. Ohh and dont worry if its a tenor. Well dude...hope I helped. Remember, to transcribe you dont needa special talent. If you can hear a note then you can play that note. Have fun -Hex-

Reply To Post AIM

1. by saxman0317
      (53 posts)

19 years ago

Hey i gotta to agree with Hex on this one, but if your set on transcribing this thing and you dont know how, or your to lazy, get a program like Finale or the one by mac. With them, u can either type the song in or even just scan the music if u got it, and click transpose to ...... Give it a shot if u can, but if u dont want to do that, just think about the key of the sax, then how many steps it is away from the other one. Thats the number of steps the notes need to be apart, and once get it right...PRACTICE IT!

Reply To Post AIM

1. by morandjp
        (10 posts)

19 years ago

umm if you want to transpose tenor to alto, tenor is in Bb and alto in Eb... so if the tenor plays a C, the alto plays a G. so either play the fifth of what you hear, or go down a fourth.. and same with the key.. if it's in D, then you will be in A.

Reply To Post

2. by mj_sax
        (7 posts)

19 years ago

Transcribing is hard! Why don't you just pay someone who is good at it to do it. Buy an expensive laptop and software...? These young dudes...need to learn the old-fashioned way ~ visit the school of hard knocks. Whatever the outcome...if it is only a few bars...he'll be better off if he did it on his own.

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

19 years ago

Listen to the solo so many times you have it by memory. Then try to find it on the horn. This is the way we old timers learned to play. I can still sing along with some Charlie Parker solos. You'll find yourself filling in spots with your own ideas that suit you better. Being original is what jazz is about...Good luck. Flutman
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Hexaclon
          (90 posts)

19 years ago

Hey kelsey I have a question.. sometimes I'm like trying to transcribea lick but its very fast. Ive tryed to divide it by parts but I still dont quite get it. Its like I cant even sing it. Thanks -Hex-

Reply To Post AIM

3. by jazaddict
          (41 posts)

19 years ago

> Stick with that, break it into as small of parts as you can....down to 2 notes at a time. Sing that interval, find it on the sax, write it down. Be patient and tenacious, the benefits are huge.

Reply To Post

4. by MarkVISax
          (1 post)

19 years ago

If you are wanting to transcribe long runs or fast heads there is a program you can get for your compter, or a transcirber that just plugs into your setero. what it does is slows down the music with out making the note go out of tune. it has helped me with alot of brecker, redman, and rollins licks that were almost impossible for me to learn with just my ear. but you dont really need it to transcibe. its just alot of listen to the same thing over and over, and practcing alot of ear training.

Reply To Post AIM