Saxophone Forum

by long0857
(9 posts)
8 years ago

Chateau Saxohpone

Hello Peeps !

i am Dickson and i am totally new to saxophone .. i tried to google about saxophone but its more about major brand etc.

Someome offered me Chateau Custom, saxophone ( Manufactured in Vietnam ) , is it decent ?

I am low on budget too.

So i hope that the expert overhere can help me.

Thank you so much !

Regards
Lee 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Frathouse58
    (3 posts)

5 years ago

Re: Chateau Saxohpone

I know it has been over 3 years since your original post but I was curious if you were pleased with the Chateau saxophone.  

Reply To Post

2. by Cluella
    (2 posts)

4 years ago

Buying a Chateau saxophone is a good idea. It is cheap enough and has good reviews. Eastar AS-II is also a budget pick, you may find the prices on it on the Internet (on Amazon, for example https://www.amazon.com/Eastar-Student-Saxophone-Carrying-Mouthpiece/dp/B07HL8YNJH).
    But for beginners, I will always recommend Yamaha YAS-280. It is more expensive, but it has more features than most of the other beginner saxophones (like F#). You may read more about it here https://primesound.org/best-beginner-saxophone/#product1.

Works of art make rules; rules do not make works of art.

Reply To Post

3. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

8 years ago

Chateau is an excellent saxophone. It's by far the best performing saxophone in its price range. The ergonomics are exceptional, the intonation is very accurate, the response is great and the build quality is extremely good.

Chateau makes many models from student to professional. Do you know what model you have? 

Cheers,

Mark Overton
    www.saxquest.com 

Reply To Post

1. by ferhal86
      (12 posts)

8 years ago

I think Yamaha is an excellent saxophone. Whatever type such as tenor, alto and sopran.
      I hope you buy yamaha saxophone made in Japan.

Reply To Post

2. by long0857
      (9 posts)

8 years ago

Hello Sir !

Thank you for your reply.

I just called the seller, i think the model is VCH-221 

Reply To Post

3. by long0857
      (9 posts)

8 years ago

also its made in vietnam accord to him. Please kindly help ,e

Reply To Post

1. by saxgourmet
        (127 posts)

8 years ago

the Chateau model numbers with the porefix VCH are made at the Crown Hope factory in Viet Nam

STEVE GOODSON
        New Orleans
        www.nationofmusic.com

Reply To Post

1. by long0857
          (9 posts)

8 years ago

Thank you for the reply !

any comment about this sax ? Please kindly help me  

Reply To Post

2. by Saxlover70
        (14 posts)

8 years ago

I'm still relatively new to playing the sax, if your looking for a decent sax for cheap try calling a few pawn shops. That's how I found my Buescher Aristocrat 200 for 107 and its a American made sax. Be careful getting a cheap sax, the Chinese ones on Amazon may look nice but most of them can't be repaired if something breaks. That's what steered me away from Amazon. And if the pawn shop has a few saxophones ask for the brand name and a serial number if possible, usually the serial number is on the back just under the thumb guard. Just need to do your homework and make sure the instrument you want to buy is a decent brand. Hope this helps, there are old but not vintage saxophones that are decent instrument for cheap. Even some vintage saxophones you can get cheap with some dents and what not, and end up sounding better than the new student models. 

Reply To Post

1. by long0857
          (9 posts)

8 years ago

Hello Thank you for replying me,

How can the serial number help me ?

And thank you so much for ringing me this about the serial number,

Thank you once again.

Hope to hear from you soon 

Reply To Post

1. by Saxlover70
            (14 posts)

8 years ago

Hi sorry I haven't been around here for a little bit. Yeah well each manufacturer has a different serial number all together. The trick is finding the manufacturer sometimes, but usually in a serial number the higher the number the younger the instrument is.

And the way you can use a serial number is you can Google the manufacturer like I put Buescher serial numbers and then it was the second hit I think that had a list of the serial numbers. Once you get that look at the digits in the thousands place. Like if it says 98765, take 98 then go to the list and find where it fits within a production year. 

Although a pawn shop is sort of like playing Russian roulette, you can't play it, just judge by the condition which even there may be misleading. Cosmetic is important to a point, a sax could look like it got ran over by a bus then someone grabs it and plays the most wicked blues song you ever heard. But you can either pick it up or ask to see it if they got it on a wall or something. Look at the pads, are the cracked or are the nice and smooth, push in the keys, make sure the action is smooth and see how fast they come back up, you want of course quick movements. Then from there inspect it, is there green crap on the places where the Bell connects into it, be aware of those and maybe look at other saxophones and pick one without green crap. Which is actually tarnish. 

Also gently grab a pad and see if there's any play, there shouldn't be any or just a little. My Buescher has a small but of play on a key or two, but for a '78 saxophone its actually in good shape. But with any brand your looking at make sure you do research, especially checking where its was made. Like I said some horns that are cheapely made can't be serviced, so in a lot of respects you get what you pay for but there are good saxophones you can get for cheap. Just shop around, its a lot like buying a car except in my opinion saxosaxophones more fun. :)

And once you buy your sax if it's pawn shop purchase it wouldn't hurt to take it to a music shop and have their repair technician look over it. Usually if there's a problem you won't be able to get a note out as in there was a crack in one of pads you didn't see so its not completely sealing. Used saxophones from a music store aren't as much of a risk as a pawn shop find but they are more expensive. And also be careful if you think the guy is trying to rush you, that right there would throw up a red flag to me. But the stores I been to they are usually nice and even if you got half a million questions they answer them the best they can that was also where I found out that cheap Amazon saxophones can't be repaired. Then again there Yamaha saxophones on Amazon, Jupiter saxophones some decent brands, they are expensive 2-3 grand but that's what you expect buying a brand spanking new sax. Some professional alto saxophones can easily fetch 7-8 grand.

But Buescher saxophones are good starters along with selmer saxophones and some old saxophones can fetch a few grand on their own such as a old '30's Buescher back when the difference between Buescher and Selmer was the brand both were great instruments but even my Buescher sounds nice and mine was after Buescher was bought by selmer and supposedly they weren't as good. And most important my sax can be serviced because i did my homework and stayed clear of the bad sax brands which music stores wouldnt carry a nonservicable instrument or subpar instruments. Yamaha saxophones are good as well if you got the money they hold value pretty good. The selmers you need to be careful with, Amazon sells them but I don't reccomend using Amazon, your better off going to a store. And as far as instrument type, its really personal preference, a student sax is good and cheaper than the intermediate or professional horns. At the same token if you buy a Prius you can't race a Corvette, however when you get good who says a Prius can't do doughnuts? ;) If you want a good horn and willing to spend the cash then sure get a intermediate model or whatever floats your boat. And like me if you want to give it a shot without putting your wallet in the ER, then just get a student model. 

Then again I absolutely love playing my alto sax. And oh my, I wrote a essay, whoops well I hope this helps with your sax hunt.  

Reply To Post

1. by long0857
              (9 posts)

8 years ago

Thank you so much ! i've learnt so many thing !

i'll go and check it out and ask for your advice.

thank you sooo much really !

really appriciate it . 

Reply To Post

2. by Saxlover70
              (14 posts)

8 years ago

No problem man. Glad I could help. 

Reply To Post

3. by long0857
              (9 posts)

8 years ago

Hello again 

i manage to get the serial number. could you help me ?

The brand is Chateau Customer

1507 1382759

or: 

1507 1B82759

i can't really see properly.

Thank you once again  

Reply To Post

4. by long0857
              (9 posts)

8 years ago

Hello all, its me again, ive bought the saxohpone, i am trying to learn myself, is there any link for me to learn the keys & finger chart etc ? thank you in advance

Reply To Post

5. by GFC
              (842 posts)

8 years ago

Best to start out with at least a few lessons to get you going in the right direction.  If there isn't a teacher in your area, you can do lessons through skype.

Reply To Post

6. by long0857
              (9 posts)

8 years ago

skype ? i am listening :) 

how can i do that ? 

Reply To Post

7. by GFC
              (842 posts)

8 years ago

Googling "skype saxophone lessons" gets a lot of hits.  Then it's just a matter of finding someone who will do beginner lessons on mutually acceptable terms.  

If you don't want to wait until you have skype lessons set up, there are a lot of hits under "beginner saxophone lessons."  If you go that route you'll need to start out with the basics such as selecting, preparing, and caring for reeds, proper reed placement on the mouthpiece, embouchure, playing posture, proper breathing, and tone production exercises (long tones).  Then you'll be ready to start on basic scales and fingerings.   You can pick the basics up that way, but actual lessons with a live teacher should allow you to do it more efficiently.

Reply To Post