Saxophone Forum

by kelsey
(930 posts)
8 years ago

YTS necks

I own a Yamaha 62 purple logo tenor.  I use it to backup my Mark Vl tenor. I like it a lot! Lately I've been wanting to try another neck on the yamaha. My question is will the newer Yamaha necks fit without being installed by a tech?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by JonHuff
    (117 posts)

8 years ago

Re: YTS necks

It *should* fit in just fine with no needed adjustments. Yamaha has done a lot of tinkering with necks over the years, but I don't think any of the changes were to the receiver dimensions. A new neck should go in your purple logo 62 just fine.

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

8 years ago

Thanks Jon, you guys at saxquest are the best!

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by saxgourmet
        (127 posts)

8 years ago

all of the Yamaha tenor necks have a tenon OD of 27.5mm.....if you horn is at original specification, they should fit. It's ALWAYS a good idea to get a neck "fit" to your individual horn. It's a pretty simple process that can make a huge difference in playability.

STEVE GOODSON
        New Orleans
        www.nationofmusic.com

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

8 years ago

Thanks Steve! The members of this site have always been a treasure trove of information for me.....

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

8 years ago

I have raed that the YTS 62 purple logo's neck fits with the newer necks,  but the octave key has to be changed? Is this true?

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

3. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

8 years ago

In answer to my original question, No!.......The neck will fit but the octave key on my Yamaha Purple Logo model 62 doesen't come up high enough to engage the octave lever on the newer necks. But thanks Jon and Steve for your help. You are both right as far as the neck fiting into the body of the horn. I'm glad I haven't bought the neck yet. This conversation has saved me $400.00....    

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

4. by saxgourmet
          (127 posts)

8 years ago

extending the floating lever of the octave mechanism is strictly a no brainer.....fit some hollow brass tubing (available at any hobby shop) over the existing lever, soft solder (or even epoxy) into place.....cover with high quality eletrical shrink tubing.....voila! end of problem

STEVE GOODSON
          New Orleans
          www.nationofmusic.com

Reply To Post

5. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

8 years ago

Thanks Steve. Trouble  for me is, everytime I try and fix something myself I end up making things worse.....

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM